2003 KDX 200 "tune up" type questions

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider007

Post by KDXrider007 »

I picked up a new to me 2003 KDX 200 for a little over 700 bucks yesterday. It's been sitting for 2 years in the garage so naturally it needs a few things. I haven't even attempted to kick it over as I have no premix, the only premix I do have on hand is for Jetskis (quicksilver premium plus).
So, I suppose that brings me to question 1(an oil question). I know everyone recommends AMSOIL, but I don't really want to hunt all around for it. I was just wondering if Autozone or O'Rielly carry a decent 2 stroke oil? If so the name would be appreciated. It's got mix in it but if it's been sitting for 2 years it's going to be drained. I am not sure what the previous owner ran as far as 2 stroke as I forgot to ask her. Since we're on the topic of oil now, as far as clutch oil goes would Shell Rotella T triple protection 15w40 heavy duty diesel engine oil be ok? I've read people use it in their 4 strokes so I bought some for the XR and have it on hand.

I'm also going to do a radiator flush. I read on the net and people said to use the pink coolant, so I bought "Pentofrost A4" 50/50 pre diluted super extended life antifreeze/coolant, that is for 05 or newer Toyota/Lexus/Scion. Am I correct in thinking this indeed is the stuff that is good to use? .....So I just went out and checked the rad, it is dry and real crusted up looking on the inside like it all evaporated and left gunk everywhere. Can I flush all this out with a garden hose, if so should I have the bike running while I do so? Once flushed then refill with the pink stuff I bought? Any videos on how to do this anywhere? Or? Should I also be worried about the water pump too?

The front fork oil has appeared to have leaked all down the fork and the front forks are super soft feeling (at least they feel like it to me, compared to the 84 XR250R we have). Looks like I'm kind of screwed here because this looks like a lotttt of work.

the throttle likes to stick open, where do I start in addressing this issue? I am thinking it has something to do with not being touched at all in 2 years or so. If this is the case is there a special lubricant I need or would something like WD40 unstick it lol.

It also needs new grips, possibly some hand guards of some sort. However, I am a noob and I am unsure what size I would even need, I will include a picture of what the handle bar looks like) Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

Oh yah one more thing. Since it hasn't been ran in a few years should my first tank of premix be a little more rich like 35:1 instead of 40:1? If there is anything you think I missed before I try to fuel it up and see if it starts feel free to let me know. Oops another question. Should I also replace the spark plug or just see if it fires up and then replace the plug if it doesn't/runs bad? I'm also hoping it doesn't need the carb cleaned, as I am not too great with wrenches and I have a tendency to lose stuff lol.
anyway here's some pics of how it looks

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I've been running Lucas semi synthetic for a couple of years now, it's 9 bucks a quart. Very little smoke but i jetted carefully.

Yes, you can run atf or Rotella in the transmission. It won't mind at all. I like atf because it turns black instead of bright red when it's time to change, and easy to see it happen.

You can also use atf in the forks.

You can flush the crank out with pre mix, to make sure it's fully lubricated before you try to crank it. I would.

You definitely want to clean the carb, it sounds like the slide is hanging up on dirt/grit.

Welcome and congrats!
KDXrider007

Post by KDXrider007 »

ohgood wrote:I've been running Lucas semi synthetic for a couple of years now, it's 9 bucks a quart. Very little smoke but i jetted carefully.

Yes, you can run atf or Rotella in the transmission. It won't mind at all. I like atf because it turns black instead of bright red when it's time to change, and easy to see it happen.

You can also use atf in the forks.

You can flush the crank out with pre mix, to make sure it's fully lubricated before you try to crank it. I would.

You definitely want to clean the carb, it sounds like the slide is hanging up on dirt/grit.

Welcome and congrats!

Thank you!

Is this the lucas oil you are referring to, just wanted to make sure as there seemed to be quite a few different bottles----->

https://gyazo.com/45d7cb7d0d22710ebc6b625258401eb3

What do you mean by this?

As far as cleaning the carb ugghh. I cleaned my pushmowers plastic carb out and it was involved, hope this carb is similar lol.

If anyone has any suggestion on the cooling system I am ears. Would I be wrong to think loosen the coolant drain bolt and stick my garden hose at the rad fill and just flush the crap out of it? Is it that bad to use non distilled water at least just flush this stuff out? Or should I fill it 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar and run the bike for 10 minutes or so , then drain and repeat as needed? It sure does seem like a lot of gunk in there. I guess that has to wait until I clean the carb though huh.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2003 KDX 200 "tune up" type questions

Post by Julien D »

Have you owned a bike before, or is this your first? That's just a curious question, for my own info. Yes, clean the carb. It's not hard. Yeah, you can flush the radiators out with a hose. No, don't have the bike running while you do that. Also, no, don't fill it up with vinegar and water and run it.
KDXrider007

Post by KDXrider007 »

Julien D wrote:Have you owned a bike before, or is this your first? That's just a curious question, for my own info. Yes, clean the carb. It's not hard. Yeah, you can flush the radiators out with a hose. No, don't have the bike running while you do that. Also, no, don't fill it up with vinegar and water and run it.

Well, not really. I mean I bought a 2011 raptor 700r right about a year ago, did oil & filter change cleaned the air filter flushed the coolant change since i've owned it.
we just recently bought a 1984 honda xr250r for my girlfriend to ride (recently as in like a month tops) it's got some issues(oil leaks a little) but runs so I don't mess with it. Took the old front tire off and had to have a shop help me get the new tire back on lol.

Then we happened upon this bike and bought it to possibly replace the honda if my girlfriend can dig the 2 stroke. Basically we have 3 bikes now, but they are all new to us still more or less (only did one ride with the raptor and xr) otherwise it's just been played with in the ally and such.

As far as the rad being gummed up pretty bad, do you think the water pump would be just as bad as the rad, if so will it flush out? Right now I've just drained the old fuel from the tank.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

You will need a new air filter as yours will disintegrate, if it hasn't already. The carb must be cleaned, if you don't know how to take it apart and what all the jets are and how to remove them, then take it to a shop or if your inclined watch some you tube videos on motorcycle carb cleaning. You can flush the radiator with water and when you're ready to start it, let it run a few times with the water (unless it's freezing out) then drain the water and put in engine ice, 1/2 gallon will do. Drain the transmission put in atf type f. The forks will have to be disassembled. You'll need the fork damper holding tool or an impact to get the 14 mm allen bolt out of the bottom of the fork. The forks on the kdx were soft for anyone above 150#s so you might want stiffer fork springs. There are you tube videos on forks too, just make sure and watch one on conventional forks as the upside down forks are quite different. I'd take the suspension linkage apart and lube it and the swingarm bearings, plus lube the wheel bearings. Lube the cables and any pivot points. Sounds like a good afternoons work. and yes the lucas oil link you posted is correct, it is sold at a lot of parts stores. good luck
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

First thing I would do is get a service manual. Cyclepedia.com has a good one that will walk you through things step by step so even us non-mechanical types can do things.
Yes, you are going to have to disassemble and thoroughly clean the carb. You may get it running, but not running right. Canamfan's suggestions are spot on. Not as hard to do as it sounds, but much easier with the manual in hand ( or online).
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can pop the cover off the water pump easily and check the condition of the impeller. There's not a lot to the cooling system. A water jacket around the head / jug, the hoses, and the rads and pump. You should be able to flush it. After you fill it back and run it a bit, flush and fill again.

Service manual is a must have.
KDXrider007

Post by KDXrider007 »

So I couldn't figure out how to get the carb off the bike. both clamps on each side that held the rubber boots to it but it wouldn't come free, so I said what the hell and put some fresh premix in it and it ran just fine. idled fine revved fine and drove fine. I flushed the rad with the left hose off with the hose most of the grime came out warmed it up from riding and did it again and it's coming pretty clean. Going to run some distilled water in it tomorrow for a little bit then flush and put coolant in. The throttle however is still sticky, when I unscrewed the black cap that the throttle cable attaches to it wouldn't stick at all. Not sure what that means. Hard to see up there/get my hands up above the carb area. I will mess with the carb again tomorrow and see if I can't get it off. Is it just the rubber boots on each side of the carb that is holding it on? Or is there something else I am missing. The top is a little noisy not sure if this is normal ?

Oh yeah, regarding the air filter lol. I took the seat off and the entire box was full of dog food. The filter was clean and greased up though and plenty squishy feeling. Didn't disintegrate
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

The dog food means rats were living in it for a while.

The air box boot will push back enough to pull off the carb just don't kill the boot in the process, is pretty easy.

Yes that Lucas bottle will be fine. There are a million types of oil out there and a million opinions about which one is best. The main importance is that you mix it and run it, no big deal.
KDXrider007

Post by KDXrider007 »

So I took the carb off and the throttle cable is still binding. So I undid the screws for the throttle assembly and when I hold it in my hand it doesnt bind when I twist the throttle but the minute I put it on the bar it binds. I'm thinking i should just order a new throttle tube/cable
KDXrider007

Post by KDXrider007 »

by the way the cooling system cleaned up pretty good no issues there.

I ordered the fork seal kit & seal driver, should I also just go ahead and order some stiffer front springs? I'm looking at these

according to fredette racing that seems like the spring I would want. roughly 230 with gear and a full camelback I'd guess. I just feel like if I am taking the forks off to redo seals and oil I should also look into stiffer springs. However, when I get into the forks how do I know what springs are currently in it. Do they have some sort of identifier on them?

EDIT: I actually ended up ordering .46kg racetech springs
david

Post by david »

Clean the inside of the throttle tube then sand and clean the handle bar.

The Quicksilver oil you have will work fine for premix

Fork seals are real easy to replace, just to make it stop leaking. Rebuilding them is a little more involved.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki