KDX200 Electrical Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

KDX200 Electrical Questions

Post by mwoj »

So my 1985 kdx200 is gonna get a whole new wiring system. Currently has no lights/bulbs/ wiring besides for the ignition. As far as I know the stock stator puts out 6v AC at idle, but will put up 12 v ac depending on the rpm. If I purchase the upgraded stator (80w) from ricky stator, will it have a higher voltage at idle? Like 8-10v AC? Ricky stator says I need a voltage regulator, so I assume this new stator does output a higher voltage? Anyway, from there I will install a rectifier, to convert the ac to dc. I will then be able to charge the battery. Now, i plan to install the tusk lighting kit, which comes with its own battery. However, I plan to install a larger one. So I will have horn, turn signals, running light, plate light, and (soon ) a vapor tech, all running off the battery. The original headlight ran off of the stator directly, but since I don't have any of that original wiring, thats not gonna happen. I also heard the original headlight is as they say, no bueno. Ive heard a few people talk about the H4 bulb. Is this just a 12v dc? If I buy a new headlight assembly off of ebay, compatible with the h4 bulb, what wiring does it have? can I hook it up to a switch, and then the battery? How would high beam work for this? The tusk kit comes with the headlight switch. Could I run two wires from the battery, regulate one for lower amps, for the regulate headlight, and then have the other one go directly from the battery to the highbeam switch, and then to the light?? Since its an LEd, I plan to just hook it up to the battery.

Many questions, i don't expect them all to be answered. I can figure it all out by myself with time, but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with any of this?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: KDX200 Electrical Questions

Post by Jaguar »

Usually there are separate lighting and stator coils with the KDX because the CDI triggers by voltage from the stator coil. If it used only one coil then the voltage would vary depending if the lights were on or off.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/