Tags?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bonno
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Tags?

Post by Bonno »

I was wondering if I need a DNR sticker on my KDX to ride in public parks if my bike has a street plate? I'm scared to call the DNR to inspect my bike as they took my last one. Also my daughter has a PW50. Would that need a sticker too? I don't remember dad ever having a sticker on mine when I was a kid and we road in parks all the time when I was a kid. I have a bill of sale for the pw50 but no title.
rides gone... Yamaha 1991 PW50, 1977 IT400, 1984 700 Virago, 2010 Harley heritage, 1987 KDX200

Current bikes... Suzuki 1978 GS750 x2, 1993 KDX200
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tags?

Post by doakley »

I don't know where you live/ride but in NC/SC you do need a permit but I've never heard of anyone having their bike inspected. Of course if they happen to find you without a spark arrest or you are toast, but no inspection required to obtain the permits. In fact many are available online here.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tags?

Post by Tyl3r »

It probably varies by state. The last time I rode state lands in PA, they guy asked if we all had spark arrestors. We all said yes, paid the fee, and got our stickers. They didn't even look at it. But, like I said, that was in PA probably about 10 years ago. I don't know what other things they would want to check for. I would think if you had a plate, you wouldn't need one.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tags?

Post by pumpguy »

I have only limited experience with this subject, but from what I've learned so far, plates only have to do with legal riding on public roads, while DNR trail stickers let you ride legally on their trails. I would think if you want to do both, you would need both.

I would check with the administration governing the park area you are looking to ride in. I wouldn't worry about any consequences of just asking questions. They are usually happy to tell you what their rules are. Also, this information is frequently available from online sources.