Electronics and Airbox Problems.

Got questions? We got answers....
garretbanks

Electronics and Airbox Problems.

Post by garretbanks »

Last year my dad bought a kdx 200 that we think is from 1998 to ride on from a guy who knew nothing about it and claimed to run 60:1. Its now on 40:1 to cut down on smoke and spudge. It has a fmf gnarly pipe and silencer. My dad bought a replacement bulb for the headlight and it worked until one day when riding in light rain it just went out. my dad has passed the bike to me now because he got a 2001 wr250. When i took off the seat to check the airbox i noticed there is no lid or cover and i can see the air filter. i have read about drilling the cover or taking it off so i suspect that the previous owners must have removed the airbox cover. the second thing i noticed is a small black box with 4 wires coming out of it zip tiedunder the gas tank. Im pretty sure this is a cdi box but im not totally sure. i used a multimeter to check the voltage at the headlight and its reading up to 120v ac when i rev it so im pretty sure the regulator is blown? does anyone know what this black box could be? there was also another box under the seat that had a built in heatsink and 2 wires going into it. I'm guessing that this is the regulator but im not sure. i kind of want the lights to work so what would i need to buy? i wouldn't mind having a 12v dc system so could i buy a 12v dc regulator rectifier for a scooter or something?

I took some pictures of the bike if anyone knows how to determine the year. (I vinyl wrapped the rear number plates black but they were white before)
And the black box is the one with 2 wires. I couldn't get a picture of the other black box due to its location

Hope anyone can help
Thanks, Garret
garretbanks

Re: Electronics and Airbox Problems.

Post by garretbanks »

I can't figure out how to add the pictures. sorry
garretbanks

Post by garretbanks »

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

just a heads up on a couple of things:
40:1 is MORE oil than 60:1
the JETTING is what determines how much oil ends up hanging from the exhaust tip, not the premix ratio.

jet your bike one circuit at a time and it will be much happier; healthier and run better.

the heatsink is for the voltage regulator, the cdi has four wires.
garretbanks

Post by garretbanks »

By 40:1 i meant compared to the 32:1 that most people run. I was wondering about the airbox and cdi because ive read about many people doing mods to the kdx 200 like drilling the airbox and giving it a new cdi and spark plug. I guess the previous owners have already modded it.