Removing that pesky nut.

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Removing that pesky nut.

Post by Ryan »

well i finally got a nut to fit in the bottom of my forks. I got it and as i started to take it off i knew that i would need something to hold it from spinning, WELL... i though i could do what i did with my honda, just put the springs and caps back on and i thought it would give enough pressure to stop them from spinning but it only works for my honda. Now i got to figure out a way to hold that inner thingy from spining. Any idea's that i could do tonight. Im trying to get the whole bike together tonight. Also is it really nessacary to take out the cartrigedes? cause i think the original oil was still in the forks.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

aww forget it, i really dont care. Im just gonna clean what i can and fill them. I will live.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

Another quick question that i have to ask. I just got the Thor Force chest protector on sale at denniskirk.com for $65. I got this and returned the thor aftershock model i bought for $65. I was just wondering how this is suppose to fit. I went to theri site and both were meant to fit people from 100-200 lbs. but when i compare this one to the old one i had it seems alot smaller. Now it is regularly a $120 chest protector so is it maybe the more money the smaller they get?? Any help would be great? Im just wondering if i need to send it back or not??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Chest protectors are designed for midgets. In the midget world, 100 to 200# = 1/3 actual earth weight. They are designed and manufactured on Mercury where weight is more. They then send them here to cool. Everything is outsourced anymore and chest protectors are no exception.

I hope that clears it up.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so i should get an xl??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well after seeing the way that your chest protector fits you in you Mmm... beer.... picture i think mine is the right size. It looks like someone may need to lose some weight though. :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm 7'3" and pure muscle.... come over here and say that! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

you got some weird stomach muscles.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Gotta wrap that "member" up somewhere! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

:mrgreen: In regards to that pesky nut , hehehe : :mrgreen:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1940

Check my last post. The only change you would have to make is to add a 27mm nut to the bottom as you have the conventional forks.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well as i am trying to put my forks back together i realize i cant. As i tried to take the bolt out and it just kept spinning. SO i thought i would just forget about cleaning the cartridges and just fill them with oil. WEll that aint gonna happen cause i still can keep that thing front spinning, and i dont have an impact wrench.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

You have to hold the nut in place ideally with a special tool while turning the socket head at the bottom of the fork.

Inda has a drawing in the special tools section:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40

Basically a piece of tubing with a 27mm nut at the bottom of it. Place this tool down the fork tube to hold the nut, and unscrew the allen (socket head) at the bottom of the fork.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Weight is a function of gravity, gravity is a function of mass...well, notwithstanding active, passive and all that stuff.

Anyway, things don't weigh more on Mercury...not more than on the 3rd rock anyway.

I don't know if you would still be 7'3" on Mecury or not.....

Glad I could help you out, Ryan.

This guy's chest protector fits OK...but he DOES hold his beer funny.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Take that!!!
Last edited by KDX220PHIL on 12:16 pm Jan 14 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I meant to say Jupiter! And the chest protectors are made under the surface where the temps are much higher due to the planet still cooling.

Suppose you weigh 100 pounds here on Earth. Would you like to know what you would weigh in different locations in space? Just look at this list.

Earth - 100 lbs
Moon - 17 lbs
Mercury - 38 lbs
Jupiter - 236 lbs
Pluto - 7 lbs
the sun - 2407 lbs
a white dwarf - 130,000,000 lbs
a neutron star - 14,000,000,000,000 lbs
in a spaceship far out in space - 0 lbs
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i have some bad news. as i was torquing the head nuts on my bike one of them broke. Dont ask me why, no i wasnt overtightening. I am so ticked right now. I have my head off and there is no way to get the stud off without taking the motor off. And to do that my swingarm also has to come off along with the electrical that i have put back in. O well it only sets me back 2 dang weeks. Guess i should order that fork tool also, cause it is only $12.00
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

OUCH !!!

I did it on my car installing roller rockers (weakened studs I guess). Dems da breaks... :wink:

An easy-out or screw extractor should do the trick.

Good luck. :mrgreen:

Oh BTW I have also had luck by drilling a hole in the broken stud and then hammering an appropriate sized allen key into the hole.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

you know if its going to give you problems it will on your own stuff almost exclusively. we have a running joke at work (im a mechanic) that we all should just swap the work on our vehicles because when we work on our own we always run into problems. Murphy. we fix other peoples cars all day 5 days a week with few problems. good luck. oh whatever you do dont try to hurry it magnifies the problem.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i just ordered my parts from ron ayer they should be here next monday.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You said not to ask...but I'm asking anyway. :?

Why does the engine have to come out?

The engine does NOT have to come out to get a broken head stud out. The head just has holes in it! :wink: You need to take the cylinder out (if one of the studs FOR the head needs to be extracted with any in-depth methods..drilling, ez-outing, etc).

I think you misspoke. Maybe you broke a stud for the cylinder? Now THAT'S a different story. Those studs are in the cases.

AND...it also just CRIES out of a misfigured torque method, or a failed wrench. Maybe reading AND understanding one of those 'too long' posts would have been a good idea. There is a reason I picked THAT particular nit earlier.

Torque wrenches must be taken care of..and must be recal'd from time to time.

BUT....breaking a cylinder/head stud with the 20-some lbs of torque spec'd?

...I doubt it. Not without some other kind of damage caused to the stud.

Ryan: Take a look at your install method. A five year old 220 shouldn't have a problem with fatigued studs (unless they have been abused in the past).

Something is wrong..and if you don't get an idea what it is, you likely are going to repeat the breakage.

I'm not ragging on you. I'm trying to save you some more trouble.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!