what is good for cleaning top end parts?

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

what is good for cleaning top end parts?

Post by the trail rider »

hey guys what is good for cleaning the kips gears and the main valve. and cleaning all the carbon out of the cylinder. another thing what is good for cleaning carb. i know what your going to say "Carb CLeaner." but in my manual it says dont use carb cleaner because it will eat away at the small plastic functional non removable parts. thanks guys :grin:
Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

I'm not sure about the carb, but I just finished my top end and found that brake cleaner worked real well with a small wire brush
96 KDX 200 H2
the trail rider

is it safe to use brake cleaner on the kips etc.... and somewhere i heard that kerosene was good? just trying to clean it the right way and not screw anything up along the way. thanks guys. :grin:
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

are you goona take the whol thing apart? i would especailly if you have never done it before. I just did mine and it had alot of carbon on the power valves, clean the metal parts with carb cleaner or parts cleaner and the plastic stuff with brake cleaner or other cleaners that dont eat plastic. Just spraying down the kips vavle, wont do much.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
the trail rider

yeah i am doing a top end rebuild and cleaning the whole gears and taking them out and cleaning them. doesn't seem to hard to get apart, but putting back together is the harder part, like when you see something in the cylinder that you never saw because of spooge or junk. taking all the valves out cleaning them putting it back together with a wiseco, and then the desert pipe and reeds go on. oh yeah by the ways how many times do you have to heat cycle a forged piston, and for how long. i thought that brake cleaner ate away at plastic?

when in doubt gas it!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Cleaning

Post by Mark W »

Being as how I just got done doing this this past weekend....

Right or wrong I just used gasoline and a mild scotchbrite pad and toothbrush. Took some scrubbing but the KIPS came clean. Granted, my KIPs and everything else was pretty clean compared to some of the photos I've seen on carboned up valves and what not. Piston is going bye-bye since the new Wiseco just arrived this afternoon so I didn't bother cleaning it.

I think we all need T-shirts or something...

Mark
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Brake cleaner works well on the carb. I think I read somewhere about oven cleaner working well on heavy carbon and oil, it is not supposed ot be good for aluminum parts when left on for long periods of time. Anyone have any experience with oven cleaner?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I heard over on that other site a bunch of guys were pitching some solvent that Subaru sells. S'posed to make quick work of cleaning up the KIPS. I don't know the name of it but am sure if you asked the parts dude at one of those dealers he could find it for you.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I accidently found Suburu Upper Engine and Combustion Chamber Cleaner and it was amazing how well it worked. It's designed to spray into the intake of the running engine of a car. I just sprayed and soaked the pieces and the came up looking brand new. Great product but it isn't real cheap.

(Accidently) A mate of mine grabbed 2 cans from his work to do his car but never used them.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yamaha Combustion Chamber Cleaner works really good!

Sprayed a lil on top of the piston and let it soak a minute then took a toothbrush and the carbon started disolving

For the carb, Berryman's is the BEST! Just be sure and get all the O-rings and plastic pieces off before you soak it. Carb will come out looking spankin' new
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
the trail rider

berrymans huh. i got some berrymans b-12 carb cleaner, but is there another carb cleaner that works well, and is there another type of berrymans?

when in doubt gas it!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Stuff I have comes in a gallon can and has a small parts basket that lets you dip the whole carb in at once
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Wibbens:

Where do you (did you?) get your Yamaha stuff? The local dealer never heard of it..wasn't interested in ordering it, either.

PuLEEZE don't tell me you got it from the guy that's not there anymore!!??

KayD: What does 'Not cheap' mean?

Kerosene works. Not in the 'wet-n-wipe off' category, but it works.

Oven cleaners work on carbon pretty good. They're hard on aluminum, though. Not the sort of thing you want to hose your cylinder down with...let it sit overnight..and not expect some damage.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Uhhh, well...

I'm not sure if he has a shop (All Cycle ATV?) anymore or not :?

Last time I was in Naumes he was working behind the desk! :wink:

I can't imagine them not being able to get you some

I just Googled this:
http://www.powerpartsplus.com/clearance ... 904_1.aspx
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...how much of a case do YOU want to spring for...? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Look again CC. The second "case" they offer is 1each 13oz can for $5.95. You don't need to buy a 12 can case if you don't want to.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

4th product down.
About $18US expensive...
http://www.subaru.co.nz/Technical_Lab/S ... itives.php
Last edited by KDXer on 05:16 am Jan 18 2006, edited 2 times in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Everytime I've bought some it was around $8 a can!

I'd go for a half case :supz:

I might have a lil bit if you'd like to try it out first, only cost ya a beer and some leftovers :mrgreen:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

I used lemon scented oven cleaner. Worked OK still had to scrub with a wire brush though. The plus is that my KIPS smell great now. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. Oh, and wash it off any aluminum within 10 min.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."