Carb upgrade to a PWK35?

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Carb upgrade to a PWK35?

Post by mwoj »

So long story short ima need a new carb for my 1985 KDX 200. Originally had a Mikuni VM32SS. I could get a 32mm mikuni and jet it, or I can buy a different carb. Was looking at the PWK 35. Has anyone tried to do this carb swap? Ive heard great things about the PWK 35. Is it a myth? Or does it actually perform excellently.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Carb upgrade to a PWK35?

Post by Julien D »

Idle, mix, and choke controls are on the wrong side of the PWK for you. I don't think there's any easy way to make that work.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Okay i have a question, I may start a new thread if you don't know it. If I buy a new Mikuni 32mm carb, and put my main and pilot in it. will it work? Or is there something with the needle jet/needle thing that I need to worry about?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Is it the original carb on there? If you are replacing like for like, my suggestion would be to purchase new jets in the stock size and use those, then jet it properly from there. Jets are cheap compared to the carb. Your needle can be reused if it's not worn.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Well its a 34mm mikuni on there. The original 32mm mikuni is missing. I have purchased the stock jets for the 32mm.

However, the current 34mm I have is missing the screw on cap, and the needle for the needle jet has been super glued into the slide, so it is not adjustable. i am rebuilding the bike and its not running yet so I can't even test it. I think it would be cheaper to buy a new 32mm mikuni rather than trying to save this 34mm. My manual says the original 32mm (Vm32SS) had an R6 need jet. I believe the new 32mm I could buy has a Q 6. How significant is the needle jet? Does the adjustment do to much? Whats your opinion?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You won't be able to reuse the slide, needle, and needle jet from the 34mm carb, if that's what you're asking. As far as how the needle in the new carb works, I'd just try it and jet from there. Needle is very significant to overall jetting, but what the new carb comes with will be close enough to get it to run. Replacement needles and jets are cheap and easy if you need to tweak it.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Thanks. Im going to go ahead an buy a new 32mm mikuni. Is there any specific Vm32 i should buy? I am seeing Vm32-193 or a VM32-33. What other consdierations are there? BTW thanks for all your help!
sarrant

Carb upgrade to a PWK35?

Post by sarrant »

The standard model VM32 will have the same issue as the PWK -- controls on wrong side for your bike. You either need to find a KDX one or I recall another forum member here recently purchased a new one with the correct orientation, I think it was maybe a snowmobile-targeted application. I'll look for that thread.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Hello. So i was thinking about the choke issue. Couldn't I just buy a cable conversion? Has anyone tried that?

And is it possible to reach the choke on the left hand side? Is it an ease of access thing or is it actually impossible to reach?
sarrant

Carb upgrade to a PWK35?

Post by sarrant »

Even if you get the choke worked out via a cable, the idle and air screws will be inaccessible.

Found the snowmobile carb thread. Apparently there was issue that it didn't work out:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... it=+mikuni
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

I see. If I remove the air box, and just run a clamp on K&N air filter, will the choke be accessible from the left side of the bike? The bike will mainly be used for street riding and some trail riding. Possible an occasional track run.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

k&n on a bike? A 2 stroke, even? Ugh. No. Let's focus on fixing your carb. What's the deal?
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Okay its gonna be about $100-120 to fix the 34mm i have...maybe. Or I can buy Original Mikuni (nos - correct for my bike) for $240. Or i can jerry rig some $80 32mm Mikuni off of ebay. For the 34mm Mikuni I have now, if i buy ALL of the correct jets/parts for the original 32mm, and transfer them into the 34mm body, will it work? Will it make it run like stock? Whats different between the 32mm and the 34? Just the intake manifold ID right?
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Just gonna try to fix one I have.