First oil change on garage find kdx had green gross smelly o

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXcruisin

First oil change on garage find kdx had green gross smelly o

Post by KDXcruisin »

I'm praying that it's just old old oil, that probably had seen some water crossings. The vent tube hasn't been re routed yet. I dumped the oil and when I filled it the oil looked clean but sorta milky and I could see a lot of flakes in the new clean oil. So I Flushed that and then did one more flush after that because the second quart looked the same. By the third one the oil looked good, like I had gotten all the watery oil out, but I still saw what looked like a lot of metal floating around in there. Some very fine particles, and some larger flakes.

I'm hoping a magnetic oil plug and some pretty frequent oil changes for now will tell me more about what's going on. The bike has been running great, but the transmission does feel much smoother In the few minutes Ive ridden it since changing the oil.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: First oil change on garage find kdx had green gross smel

Post by Tyl3r »

Have you been seeing any drop in your coolant level? I'd be worried that there could be a coolant leak somewhere. Might be worth it to ride it around the yard or something for a while and check the oil again for milkiness.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

it's normal topo see clutch material and glitter in the oil. if it's brass colored that is bad, as it would indicate a bushing failing.

if your clutch rod is allowing water in you'll see more contamination
KDXcruisin

Post by KDXcruisin »

I haven't had any drop in my coolant level. It actually may be a bit high, I'm considering draining it and checking the coolant for oil just in case it's going both ways.

I'm encouraged that some think it's clutch material. That would make sense, because checking it today the oil looked clean and nice until I started it up and then it got full of debris and flakes and got to looking more silvery
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

the cooling jacket is pressurized, Toulouse likely never see transmission fluid in the coolant.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

that milky color is due to the water pump seal being worn and letting coolant enter the transmission fluid.
change out the seal.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/