LED Lights

Got questions? We got answers....
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

LED Lights

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

So I'm selling my 86 KDX 200 to a buddy of mine. He was asking about the availability of putting an LED light bar on the handlebars. We wants to use a regular number plate, deleting the stock headlight. And a different rear fender, without a tail light, for a more updated look (btw if anybody knows a good source for a rear fender please let me know).
The only thing then that the stator will need to power is the LED light bar and the ignition, I believe.
I'm pretty sure this bike has a 6v system, does that change anything?
How possible is this? Need any stator modifications?
I'm pretty inexperienced at the moment with electrical stuff, and didn't find a whole lot on the search.
Thanks Guys
01 KDX220--86 KDX200--07 YZ450F
Dear Kawasaki,
Please bring back the KDX!
Sincerely, Everyone
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

LED Lights

Post by pumpguy »

I don't have personal experience with the 87 KDX 200, but from what I've found online, the lighting current is 6 volts, AC. That said, here are some things to be aware of.

Typically, LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) work best on DC current. When used with AC current, half the current output is not used, so light output is diminished, or may not work at all. This depends on actual LED "bulbs" used.

Second is voltage. IME, 6 volt LEDs are hard to find, but your mileage may vary.

Third is coil output wattage. I believe the stock lighting coil wattage output is 30 watts. While LEDs are noted for using less wattage than a comparable incandescent bulb, this is probably not enough for a "light bar".

So, I would check with suppliers as to the suitability of their lighting when used with your 30 watt 6 volt supply. Also see what it would take to upgrade your system.

Something else to consider is a separate 12 volt battery powered lighting system. You would probably have to recharge the battery before each ride needing lighting.

Hope this helps.
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: LED Lights

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

That is exactly what I was looking for! That is beyond helpful. I will look into my options now knowing this!
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

www.rickystator.com can sell you the parts to convert it to 12 volts.

They also have a higher output coil.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

LED Lights

Post by pumpguy »

I believe this Ricky Stator upgrade would still leave you with AC.

Unless your chosen LEDs are suitable for AC, you will need to add a rectifier to convert to DC, and probably a regulator too.

These regulator-rectifiers are readily available at various prices. Baja Designs is a good source to start with. Low cost R/Rs are also available from Chinese importers like Outside Distributing although wiring could be an issue with these.
I understand Radio Shack can also supply a suitable rectifier.
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

LED Lights

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

So let me see..

From what I found on Ricky Stator I could get a 65w lighting coil ($53), a regulator/rectifier/relay in one ($53), and then a capacitor ($53).
The regulator/rectifier/relay would make it AC power. The capacitor would make it 12v. And the bigger coil will give some extra juice.

That sound right? I might look around for cheaper options but is the logic there correct?

Or if I were to use a 30w led light bar, I wouldn't really need to upgrade the stator right?
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

LED Lights

Post by pumpguy »

Well......., I'm no electrical expert with this stuff by any means. Jaguar would be your go-to guy for the most reliable info, IMO.

That said, the 65 watt coil from Ricky stator would give you a higher wattage output, but would it also give you 12 volts? I would check on that, but it would still be Alternating Current (AC).

The rectifier would change the AC current to DC current, but not regulated. If you used a regulator/ rectifier, you would get both; DC regulated current. The regulator acts as a load when the current exceeds a certain output. Not sure what the capacitor does or where that comes in, but it would not make it 12 volts, IIRH.

As far as being able to power a 30 watt LED light bar, you really need to know what you have now, or what you propose to have, and then discuss with the light bar supplier if that will work with his product.

Hopefully Jaguar will chime in with more authoritative information.

FROM JASON: the following is edited by me, Jason

You can contact him direct @ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

19 jaguar 75 at gmail dot com

When on pretty much any forum, you may want to NOT post a real e-mail address, so that it does not get spam sent to it. Thanks.
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

Yes. The rectifier would make it DC. I was typing faster than I was thinking (I don't even type that fast though...). Anyways, I know the rectifier/regulator/relay would be necessary for the DC power. But what device could make it 12v?
In my mind, Voltage=Current*Resistance. If I wanted to double the Voltage I'd either have to double the current or double the resistance. I think I have that right. What does that?
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

LED Lights

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

This is from Ricky Stator:

Regulator/Rectifier w/Relay

Part #RS7004RR150

Price $53.00

Trail Tech single phase full wave regulator/rectifier for DC electrical systems. Built in relay activates switched 12V DC output line only when engine is running, with adjustable shut-off delay. Wire connection for use with all machines. DC Stator and battery/capacitor sold separately.

This doesn't say it's used to convert AC to DC, is that what it does?

Sorry for the nonstop questions too btw. Just wanna be sure I understand.
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

I guess what I'm looking for is: what parts would I need to make a 12VDC 30w LED light work?
Could that possibly be done without an upgraded stator?
Is a battery necessary? I'd like to just convert the power already going to the headlight to 12VDC. If I were to mount a battery I probably wouldn't fool with anything else and just make it a stand alone system then just charge the battery as needed.
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When they told me about making it 12 volts, I don't think they were referring to parts that were on the website.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

give me a web site for that light bar so I can look at its specs
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Jim B

LED Lights

Post by Jim B »

pumpguy wrote:You can contact him direct @ *DELETED*
You should delete that e-mail; the spambots will pick up on it.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I've done the rewind and rectifier thing for led light bars. i would suggest skipping all of it, and instead carrying a high capacity lithium battery (light weight, high capacity) for the few times it's needed . the only reason I've suggested this is that I've burned three rectifiers trying to make this work, along with a regular 12v battery, and just one 18w LED plus tail light.

it's a LOT EASIER to rig a mounting location for a battery and just charge it as needed or swap it out.

that being said, I'm running two 18w led bars of the H Model stator i rewound, and it's plenty if light for off road, using just its AC output
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

Yea I think my buddy and I concluded this was all a bit too much. Haha but yes ohgood like you said I think he wants to do a stand alone light with a mounted shorai battery. Anyone know of this battery? It's kinda expensive but my buddy says it's awesome. The conversion to AC and 12v might just be a bit too much for just an off road bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Buy that stator and get a cheap $5 scooter regulator/rectifier. It will be more than enough. I have a fully converted 86. I didnt even buy the upgraded coil. I just rewound mine. Even though its "6" volts. it really just depends on what rpm the bike is at. the stock stator actually puts out an excess of 12volts depending on your rpm. I have a full set of LED lights and a 35watt headlight. It all runs off a 12v battery which my bike charges off the stock rewound stator (i have a kill for my headlight so it doesnt kill the battery)
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

You might consider picking up some Bright Eyes lights off EBAY. They come with all kinds of mounting options, are way bright, have their own long life battery packs, and are under $50.
I use them for night mountain biking and they're awesome. We've mounted them on dirtbikes for night rides also and they are awesome. I always carry a spare battery, but have never needed it yet. They go like 4 hours on full brightness.

Otherwise, you can destroy some LED lights running them on AC unless they have built in rectifiers. I have three that I'm sending in to be repaired because of this.
Ricky stator regulator/rectifier works great to convert to DC. I use it with a capacitor on my converted bike and it works well, but it's not the easiest solution.

Might also consider a LED bar that's designed to use AC. That would be a bolt on solution.

"Good job, guys. "