Which trail tech vapor to buy?

Got questions? We got answers....
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Sorry guys, tried searching. When I look at them, they are designated to a specific bike. Which one is easiest to use for an H series KDX?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Which trail tech vapor to buy?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

They make one for the H series KDX..... I have one on mine. Not every online retailer carries it though. Look on Trail Techs website for the correct part number, or they're all over eBay
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I would give Trail Tech a call at 360 687 4530 or send them an email and ask them. I have found them to be very helpful and they have always responded to my questions.

As I understand it, the VAPOR unit itself is the same. The brand and model specific listings have to do with plug and play mounting and wiring. The KDX not being a current production bike, you will have to do some of your own mounting and wiring, but it's no big deal, really. You may not want to use all the features, so wiring will be simpler.

If you want to use lighting coil current to power it, just splice into the yellow wire that comes out of the stator.

I have a now discontinued VECTOR model which has slightly different features, and Trail Tech was very helpful with advice to install it.

Hope this helps, good luck.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

There's really no wiring to even do..... All you need is a power and ground. All the rest are just the sensors that come with the Vapor (coolant temp, spark pick up, wheel speed, etc). All those have their own plugs with pigtails coming out of the Vapor.... They only go one way, you literally can't screw it up. Really the only bike specific part of it is the little magnet bolt for the wheel speed sensor..... You take out one front rotor bolt and replace it with the magnet bolt. You have to drill one small hole in the front caliper bracket to mount the wheel speed sensor pick up, but the instructions tell you how big and where to drill.... Its easy. Its really extremely simple to install..... Nothing to it. The instructions guide you through everything. It comes with a cheapo plastic mount, which is pretty much crap if you ride on any kind of rough trails like we have here..... I would recommend the metal protector mount

This is the one for the KDX.... You can pick black or silver.... Comes with everything you need to get it going

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges?cat=16
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

This should be the one.
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Thanks for all the replies. So I went to order it, and realized the striker is a viable option. They make it hard to truly compare. I will ride some time keeping Enduro's, so it would be nice to see my average speed. (striker has).

It appears the differences are:
Striker has average speed and average distance. (Vapor doesn't)

Vapor has a tach. (Striker doesn't).

I can hear my engine, so don't see the need for a tach. I'm I missing something else?

The striker and vapor are about the same money, then I noticed the endurance II is about $$25 less, and from the striker, only lacks:
Stop watch
Average distance
Voltage readings
Engine and ambient temperatures.

Do they all operate the same? Can I advance odometer mileage for enduro's on all of them?

I don't care how slow you ride, you dudes rock!

thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I had originally ordered the Endurance II and sent it back when I realized it didn't have an actual permanent hour meter, just the resetable ride time thing. I would still go with the Vapor or Stryker.... For not that much more I think it's an overall better unit
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

thirdgenlxi wrote:I had ordered the Endurance II and sent it back when I realized it didn't have an actual permanent hour meter...
That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks!

So now, I'm down to the vapor or striker. Leaning towards the striker... Anybody have any input as to why or why not?

Thank you all!

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

If you're going to ride enduros where time keeping is an issue, you might want to look into how easily trip mileage can be changed, either up or down, in 10ths of a mile, to coincide with the mileage on the turn-to-turn route sheet.

I really didn't want to be pushing buttons and trying to change this on my Trail Tech, if that's even possible with my VECTOR unit.

So, I decided go old school and keep the stock mechanical trip meter for that purpose and use the Trail Tech for the speedometer and other functions.

Only problem to work out is access to the trip meter change knob. It's getting kinda crowded up there behind the number plate, but I'll work out something.
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

pumpguy wrote:If you're going to ride enduros where time keeping is an issue, you might want to look into how easily trip mileage can be changed, either up or down, in 10ths of a mile, to coincide with the mileage on the turn-to-turn route sheet.
Does anybody know how easy it is to change mileage on the vapor or striker?

thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

What do you mean by changing mileage? I've never ran an enduro so I really don't know what it means. Do you mean resetting it back to 0?
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

thirdgenlxi wrote:What do you mean by changing mileage? I've never ran an enduro so I really don't know what it means. Do you mean resetting it back to 0?
Hard to explain, but basically let's say you roll into a "reset" (a rest are) and your odometer reads 22.7 miles. You'd need to make your odometer match your roll chart, which could say 27.2. Make sense?

19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

thirdgenlxi wrote: I've never ran an enduro....
You need to! Think of the first one as a great long trail ride.

19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Soooo, after too much research, and after calling trail tech, I decided to the striker was the best for what I want and Enduro's. (It's the only one that can have mileage changed by hundredths, the others are tenths). Then I found a "new" GPS trail tech voyager on eBay, that was still in packaging, never installed, that was a badly written ad, and bought that for $150! :-) can't wait to get it and play with it. I just hope it's not an older model... Wait and see.

Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Question: how do these measure distance (GPS? Connect to stock odometer cable?) and how do they measure rpms?
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

They can measure by front wheel distance, or GPS. Obviously, front tire is better. They don't use factory cable, they use a magnet that replaces a bolt on the rotor, then a small pickup sensor, that is run up to computer with a wire. You can adjust for different size tires.

Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Interesting. Never comes loose? It runs off batteries or is it wired up? Also, how can it measure temperature and RPMs?
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

...runs off batteries or is it wired up? Also, how can it measure temperature and RPMs?[/quote]

Battery or wired, but battery doesn't last very long. It has wired temp sensor and RPM sensor. Don't have to use any sensors that you don't want to hook up.

19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

19Delta wrote:...I found a "new" GPS trail tech voyager on eBay, that was still in packaging, never installed, that was a badly written ad, and bought that for $150! :-) can't wait to get it and play with it. I just hope it's not an older model... Wait and see.
FAIL! Update to thread. I got the gps voyager. It is an older model, and the battery sat doing nothing for best I can tell, AT LEAST 3 years. On full charge, it last less than two hours, but no biggie right? I'll just power it with my bike right? WRONG. I called trail tech to ask about updating the software, then by chance mentioned it didn't last long, but I told them no worries, because I'm going to wire into my headlight power on my KDX..... WRONG. He said I CAN do that with their endurance, striker, and vapor... as they run on AC, but the Voyager runs on DC. So in order to use the Voyager, it would require a battery, rectifier, etc and converting the bike over, which is way more than I am interested in doing. I'm returning the voyager.

Guess I'm back on the hunt for a striker!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Have you considered using a separate battery? An NiMH "ENELOOP" 12 volt RC car battery will hold it's charge for several years. These are shown available from 650 - 2100 mAh and can be charged using any 12 VDC power supply you have now. For more info, contact BATTERIES AMERICA, 1-800 308 4805. Their tech support is really great.

If you consider this route viable, ask Trail Tech how long each of these batteries would power your Voyager.