Terrible Fuel Consumption

Got questions? We got answers....
Mike93KDX

Post by Mike93KDX »

I Recently Picked up an awesome '93 KDX 200. Took on a few rides and I fell in love, it is my first off road bike but seriously this bike just wont die!

when I first got it the plugs kept fouling which has some how rectified by riding the bike properly but now that brings me to my next issue, the fuel consumption seems ridiculous!

I emptied the 13L tank put in another 2L on a 60Km ride which seems heart breaking! I've cleaned out the carb, checked the seat level, cleaned the jets (150/48) and even played around with the air fuel screw. It does leak fuel out of the over flow when its standing (off) with the tap on but when riding it doesn't drip at all...

Should I be looking at a rebuild kit or buying a completely new carb or could this possibly even be something more sinister like blow by? (checked the compression though it was excellent)

I really love this bike but its going to kill me with this kind of fuel consumption. any advice would really help if any one else had the same issue? :please:
El Gran Jamon

Re: Terrible Fuel Consumption

Post by El Gran Jamon »

I'm somewhat new around here, but not new to dirt bikes.. if it's leaking standing there you've got either a stuck needle valve or a worn needle/float valve with bad rubber tip. It's a $10 part or less, start there. Most likely leaking off road you aren't catching it. Stock jetting seems a bit rich too. Fwiw I been getting 30, 34 mpg.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Does it have a PWK? If so, you might try replacing the jet block gasket. My 220 got a lot better mileage after I did that. Of course, make sure the float needle is in good shape and the float height is properly set.
Mike93KDX

Post by Mike93KDX »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! It's got a Keihin carb, I see the needle is sitting at mid way so I'm setting it a further clip higher i.e. leaner to see how that goes too!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Mike93KDX wrote:I see the needle is sitting at mid way so I'm setting it a further clip higher i.e. leaner to see how that goes too!
Just to clarify, I was referring to the float needle, not the needle that goes in the slide.

You might want to do a search on here for 'jet block gasket' to see what I'm talking about. I don't think I'd make any jetting changes before I got the carb in good mechanical shape.
Mike93KDX

Post by Mike93KDX »

Yep I did realise and adjusted the needle and seat to tithe correct setting from other posts I saw, I'll be taking it out on the weekend to check for a difference
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Can't help you, but it's definitely not normal. You should be getting around 100km or more for those 12-13L.