bottom end noise on a 96 200

Got questions? We got answers....
WaRiders

Post by WaRiders »

I have a noise in the lower clutch area that at idle sounds like a knock. The tone changes when the clutch is pulled in. If you speed the motor up the knocking sound goes away. I can hear the kips rattle up top. This is definitely lower area. would bearing noise change with motor speed?
Thanks for the help.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The kdx motor can make all sorts of odd sounding noises at idle as there are lots of moving parts .
A bottom end rumble that increases with the rpm is a sign that something isn't right, especially if you can feel vibrations through the foot pegs or frame.
A worn piston can slap around making a hollow noise , worn main bearings can also rumble for quite some time before giving up...a worn big end will knock & increase as the Rpm rises ...piston rings & small end will make a rattle sound..
The kips rattle is a worrying sound but in actual fact I would worry more if it wasn't rattling !
There are a couple of plastic bushes & wheels in the clutch side , also the water pump impeller is there...all these items could make a knock sound as you turn the motor over....if it's quiet when the motor is running & there's no weird vibrations or other sounds then I wouldn't really worry too much..... Drain your engine oil & check for any debris that may be there ...if there is then that's proof something's a miss .
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Two strokes make noise. You should hear my air cooled RD 350 if you want to hear noises at idle!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Jim B

Re: bottom end noise on a 96 200

Post by Jim B »

Have you tried running a full quart of oil in the trans and using something relatively thick like Rotella T? (Instead of ATF.)
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

WaRiders wrote:I have a noise in the lower clutch area that at idle sounds like a knock. The tone changes when the clutch is pulled in. If you speed the motor up the knocking sound goes away. I can hear the kips rattle up top. This is definitely lower area. would bearing noise change with motor speed?
Thanks for the help.
run a full quart of oil in it and listen for changes
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: bottom end noise on a 96 200

Post by Jaguar »

take the clutch cover off and grab the clutch basket and see if you can move it up and down. If so then you need to change out the shaft bearing on the inside of the cases. That bearing goes bad if you don't keep the oil level a bit over-filled.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/