Anybody Running a Trail Tech computer

Got questions? We got answers....
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

Ok I've decided instead of trying to fix the factory odometer on my 89 Kdx 200 I'm going to run a trail tech endurance 2 computer...

Now that being said has anybody done this.. I cannot seem to find just a universal setup all I keep running across is model specific setups.. And if only model specific what would be the best option for me
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I run a Trail Tech Vapor on mine..... I was original gonna use the Endurance 2 but sent it back after I saw it didn't have a permanent hour meter, just a re-settable ride time. The Vapor has the permanent hour meter, along with the re-settable ride time, odometer, etc..... along with some other goodies. I love it though..... does a lot of stuff and works great! It's up to you which one you want to go with, but personally for the minimal price difference I would go with the Vapor or Vector over the Endurance

I know they don't list them for the pre-95 KDX's, but honestly the only real model specific part about them is the bolt (magnet) for the speed sensor pick-up, and possibly the sensor itself. Looking at the parts diagram I see the pre-95 uses a different front rotor bolt, which is what the Trail Tech comes with for a magnet for the speed senor pick-up. BUT, you can get just the stand alone magnet button to just stick on the rotor and not even mess with the bolts. That's what I currently use for both my dirt wheel and supermoto wheels..... you can pick those up on ebay for just a couple bucks. Hell the Trail Tech may have even came with an extra magnet button, I really can't remember. But if it doesn't, you can pick one up easily. The pick-up itself should work fine on an older KDX as well, as you can get creative in mounting it, but there's really not much to it. I'd say just order one for a newer KDX and then get the magnet button if it doesn't come with an extra and you should be good to go

Mine

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I have found Trail Tech to be very responsive to technical questions like this. I would run your questions by them and see what they say.

In my case, my bike came with a now discontinued Trail Tech Vector that was not installed. I want an easily resettable odometer that can be used with a turn-to-turn roll chart. My plan is to use both the Vector and a stock KDX mechanical trip meter which is re-settable in 10ths of a mile. Hopefully the KDX trip meter is accurate enough for this purpose.
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

Thanks guys ... I bit the bullet and ordered a vapor today it's a universal one set up for a bike with standard forks.. It should arrive Monday .. Guess I'll see what I'm getting myself into when it arrives
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Nice!! You'll like it..... It's very easy to install..... really nothing to it. For the coolant temp sensor, I put mine on the straight hose that goes between the 2 radiators up towards the top, underneath the tank. Just cut out about an inch from the hose right in the middle, and the sensor fits in there perfect. It is a tight fit with the tank on, so you have to make sure it's oriented so the wire is pointed down and out of the way, otherwise the tank will rub it. There's a couple settings on it as well..... the tire size should be good, but the pulse per revolution (I believe it's just PPR in the menu), has options for .5, 1, and 2..... for a 2 stroke you want it on 2. And make sure you're using a resistor plug, and if the power is wired to the bike power, make sure there is a load on it... ie a headlight is on. Otherwise the tach does crazy things, lol
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

Cool man thanks for the tips.. Can't wait to get it up and running for sure... Just installed the new rear fender on mine tonight wired it all up to run the brake light.. After the trail tech I'm gonna have to rewrap the stator it doesn't like brake light lol