Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Got questions? We got answers....
RhinoKeegan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by RhinoKeegan »

First, thanks for the great forum! Been lurking for a bit after picking up my bike this spring and now have a question.

1995 KDX200

Leak down test revealed an air leak coming from right side KIPS cover where the rubber boot attaches to the cover. Pulled the cover and lots of oil/spooge at the gear and down that rubber boot.

Pulled the head and jug, and all the KIPS parts. Cleaned the parts and replaced the 2 oil seals that the geared shaft passes through.

Buttoned it all back up with new gaskets and wouldn't you know it... still leaking from the right side of the KIPS shaft.

So does that mean that the shaft is too worn to seal correctly, or do I blame it on the oil seals from the Moose gasket set I had?

A new shaft is about $51 plus shipping from Partzilla, not to mention another new head gasket... so what are your opinions?

Thanks!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by canamfan »

If it runs good I wouldn't worry about it. It's a two stroke it's supposed to ooze.
RhinoKeegan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by RhinoKeegan »

That's kinda what I was thinking. Run a few more tank full through it and see how it feels. If I get a bug to tear into it, the winters here in MN are long enough to mess around.
Adamnb1

Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by Adamnb1 »

What psi are you using?
RhinoKeegan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by RhinoKeegan »

I went up to 4psi. It would all leak out in about a minute.

I may have another leak at the right side of the motor. I'm getting a ton of oil out of the exhaust and I'm pretty sure it's from the tranny. Tranny level is dropping and it's not leaving a puddle on the floor.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a case splitter tool.
Adamnb1

Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by Adamnb1 »

Yeah the system should hold air for longer than that.
Do you have the clutch assembly removed and checking the right crank seal for leak? That's one possible place your trans oil could be going.
Aside from the rubber seal on the main kips shaft, there is a o-ring seal on the right side kips rod (that operates the right side sub port valve). Are you sure that's installed?
RhinoKeegan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Air Leak Past Kips Shaft

Post by RhinoKeegan »

Adamnb1 wrote:there is a o-ring seal on the right side kips rod (that operates the right side sub port valve). Are you sure that's installed?
Yup, checked that one and it seems just fine. I'm hoping that the oil seals on the KIPS shaft were just cheap junk and some genuine OEM seals will do the trick. In the mean time, I'm going to be pulling the motor and splitting the case. Crank seal has to be the problem with the transmission fluid.

I've got a hydraulic press and I need a case splitter, but I'm wondering if I should buy a crank jig as well for reassembly.