Pro-X Pistons

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Pro-X Pistons

Post by KDX220PHIL »

This is not a question but something I read in Eric Gorr's book today. Maybe this has been discussed in a previous thread but I didnt see it.

"Pro-X is a marketing company that sells surplus pistons from the japanese company ART, which makes all the cast pistons for the japanese motorcycle maufacturers"

You're right Inda when you said they were the same, I thought you meant same as in both are cast.

Guess this is a reason for 220 owners to stay clear of Pro-X.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That's standardly known fare...

Why,'Guess this is a reason...'?

Nothing wrong with Pro-X 200 pistons.......

Maybe I skipped something....... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Well, I had a Pro-X and an OEM KDX200 piston sitting side by side and they were different. Just a little bit different, but different. The size of the two smaller holes was different as was the bigger hole. The cross-hatching on the inside was much different. Not saying that OEM didn't make changes at some point, but the Pro-X I had and the OEM that I had were different.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine were identical in every way....I used a Pro-X 'cause I got's a 200... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

OK, I will Put my neck on the chopping block again....., pull the pin and let the knife blade drop!

Pro-X pistons are made in Japan and maybe in the same piston manufacturing plants that most of all Japans piston are made for, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan Kawasaki, Suzuki, and many more.

The point being that Pro-X uses these piston manufactory's BUT they do have their own specifications that are as good or better than original manufacturing companies specifications.

I have used many Pro-X pistons that actually have a cast name of Pro-X on the inside of the skirt (now that could not have been a over run for a brand name manufacture now could it).

I will say for a fact that most major companies in Japan would not sell over stock or defective pistons to a vendor to marketed as OEM by another vendor (such as Pro-X)

I maybe wrong here but I do know for a fact that any Honda defect parts are destroyed...... maybe Kawasaki rejects get through to be sold as OEM by some one else. AND I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT IS PRO-X selling them (period)

For all of you that want forged piston......, all I can sat is get a bunch of you together and get dies made and have JE pistons make them for you. They are the best forged piston I have seen and used. They now there **** and know all about the defects in the Wiseco......, JE pistons take all of the problems in house and know how to grind and taper them along with pickling and heat treating them to work with minimal clearance and break in procedures.

OK, off the soap box now.... Take me to the square and put my head in the block..... pull the pin........

Ron
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

PULL !!!

Jus kidding, great info Ron.

Sooooo, who's up for a group buy ?? :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
RBD wrote:OK, Pro-X pistons are made in Japan and maybe in the same piston manufacturing plants that most of all Japans piston are made for, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan Kawasaki, Suzuki, and many more.
This reminds me of the ongoing "string argument" over in the guitar world. There are lots and lots of brands of strings, but only 4-5 (I forgot) actual string winders. Thus, Brand X is actually made by Brand Y in Brand Y's factory. But, as Ron says above, that doesn't mean they're the SAME! Some ARE just re-packages but most have different specs in some way or another.

Pick on! Wait....I mean, Ride On, Dude!
:grin:
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Wonder what that costs? I can only bet a lot! We make some dies for extruding processes (for heat sinks) and they can run up to $2000 a piece, and they are a one piece die and not overly complex.

I am up for a piston change BEFORE I get the usual carb, head, and v-force mods. Although I am not too fond of the Pro-X pistons unless several others test them with good results and feedback these results. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are cast, I wish there was a cast alternative that I could test against the wiseco, but it would have to be a completely different design than stock. Ideally a completely different manufacturer that can own up to their design flaws, and not continue to sell a faulty design after numerous complaints.

Unless someone can convince me that there is a beter alternative to the wiseco (and affordable), it seems so far as the only safe and suitable alternative to the 220 stock.

Anybody here using Pro-X in their 220 with the usual best mods? FMF Rev, V-force (or boyesen reeds), RB Carb, etc.?

Thanks for your input Ron, I do believe you when they say that Pro-X has their own specifications, afterall they are graded in more sizes than OEM.

KDX'R, you should be able to cover the costs of that die for us, what's a few grand more? :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Can we get them cast in green is the question! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

JE built my Duster pistons!

Ernie Ball Earthwood Lights!
:wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sounds like the recent problem with surf boards: Seems there was only one source for the stryrofoam blanks and when he closed his doors, no one was warned. Suddenly there was a 2000 a day shortage of blanks in the world. The remaining stock was snatched up like gold and the finished products tripled in price over night.

Anyway, a wiseco in my kdx220 for several years now without any problems. As a recap, there are problems with wiseco? Pro-X? Cast? Forged?
I guess I need to pay better attention.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Any blanket statement made regarding anything is likely wrong in some aspect.

Wiseco's are bad.

Pro-X is bad.

Cast is the best.

Forged ONLY!

Some Wiseco's have had problems. Remember the pin fit trouble?

Some Pro-X's are bad..reference the reported 220 problems.

Cast and forged have different characteristics. If you put together an engine with no regard or knowledge of the pistons you're using, problems may well result.

Do your homework relative to the situation you happen to be in and you will likely be better off. Forewarned is forearmed and all that stuff...

The last JE piston I bought was only about $100.
Unfortunately...I needed eight of 'em! :wink:

Consider the source