Who uses intercom headsets?

Got questions? We got answers....
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

My oldest son and I are taking our two KDX'S to Moab next spring for a whole week, and want some comms to chat as we ride all week.

Next Sunday we are riding our first enduro, (We normally ride trials motorcycles) and thought it would be a good place to try out some headsets.

Does anybody use anything for Enduro's? Thoughts? Brands? Models?

Sena seems popular. Would like to have several hundred yard distance capability, music would be nice, and cell calls would be a bonus.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who uses intercom headsets?

Post by IDRIDR »

I have Scala Rider, about 4 year old model, and used them a lot with my girl friend when she was riding (a beginner and communication was a great comfort to her).
The speakers mount in helmet and generally became useless at around 40 mph plus due to wind noise. We were on a KLX with no windshield and KLR with a crappy windshield, so comparable to a KDX.
Been to MOAB once and I remember a lot of slower technical riding. These would be great.
If I were still using them regularly, I'd get an earbud conversion so I could use them with the standard speakers or earbuds. Yes, earbuds are illegal in most states so use on the street at your own risk. They had bluetooth connection to the phone for music and phone calls which can be nice.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by seniorsehas »

I've got the Sena S20. I've only used it on my street full face helmet but I'm very impressed with it. The clarity of music / voice is very good for what it is.

It has + and - like everything

Good
-Very easy to install.
-Pairs with my phone for music instantly
-Pairs with other headsets instantly
-Communication is flawless for about 1/2 mile but that's it.
-You can use the factory speakers or plug in earbuds. Earbuds really cancel out the noise and make life much much better.
-I've had phone calls at 65 on my loud SV650 and the people on the other end didn't know I was using hands free let alone on a motorcycle.
-Bluetooth to your phone let's you listen to whatever you feel like listening to.

Bad
-Quirky UI. Maybe I don't use it enough to remember how to use it? Every now and then it decides to randomly change the radio station to the local ranchero or crazy religious station when I'm riding. It's goddamn torture. This only happens when it's on radio mode. Bluetooth with the phone is flawless.
-When things get fast and loud (90mph+ on a V-twin) it stops the music and broadcasts your wind noise to anyone linked into your headset. I found that microphone placement helps a LOT with this.
-Pricey
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Thanks for the reply. After watching tons of videos, and reading more than I wished I did, I settled on a pair of Sena 20S models. Seems to run around $500+ online everywhere, but I scored a pair on eBay new in box for $323 including shipping!

We'll be trying them out this Sunday at our first enduro. Only problem with buying these, is now I REALLY want the Sena prism tube camera for action video recording. At $119, it seems like a great value! I think it's cool that the video having both riders audio recorded with it is a huge bonus!

19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

We've ridden one enduro (61 miles) and 1 tough dual sport (74 miles). I can't imagine riding without coms now! So much fun! I highly recommend these!

Another bonus we didn't think of is, have the better rider lead, and help the other rider that follows with trail help/advice. Very helpful!

hitmanhite

Post by hitmanhite »

Kind of late to the party, but here is what my son and I use........unbelievable

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=1911
CR-250 complete build with every known goodie, Kid outgrew CR-85E, decided to try a green one for the first time, went with the KDX in hopes it would be the last bike that I buy him. Trying to put it back together from some kid who "knew what he was doing"...haha......hahaha........hahahaha.
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

hitmanhite wrote:Kind of late to the party, but here is what my son and I use........unbelievable

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=1911

Very interesting... ^^^those^^^ appear to be BAOFENG radios - commonly used for HAM, MURS, etc. communications. I'm no expert by any means but I have a friend who is a HAM and they love those BAOFENG radios... cheap, programmable, etc. You can roll your own kit by picking up a BAOFENG off of fleabay for about $25 and add a $15 helmet kit. Wouldn't be exactly like the rugged radio kit but it would certainly be a fraction of the cost. I'd love to know what frequencies the rugged radios are set at. Everyone should be careful not to use any freq's that require a license or you could get into some hot water with the FCC. Lots of HAMS monitor frequencies and they'll have a lot of fun "DX'ing" you to turn you in :)