KIPS fix?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bark_Buster
Gold Member
Gold Member

KIPS fix?

Post by Bark_Buster »

Hi all,

Recently bought a 2005 KDX 220 that seemed a little sluggish down low and that was confirmed when my son started spanking me on his '96 KDX 200. Pulled the side plug and checked the KIPS operation. Found it moves freely but has no spring back to its closed idle position. Started up the bike and could feel the shaft rotate and spring back while pinching the rubber boot with my fingers. Pulled the pipe for access thinking I had stripped gears up top but found I could lift the shaft off. Panicked thinking the long weekend I had planned riding with my son was blown but a little research here led me to discover there was a missing shaft retainer pin behind the machine screw! How it could disappear I don't know, but the shaft does stay in place with a small allen wrench in the hole (see pic).

So i found the part number but being a long weekend up here in Canada, waiting for a Kawi part is going to leave me riding asphalt instead of dirt unless I get a little creative. I was thinking of using one of the hardened needle roller bearings from an automotive U-joint, cut/grind to length and popping it in under the machine screw.

Any chance anyone has dimensions for the shaft retainer pin behind that little machine screw (length and diameter)? I'll be dipped if I'm going to let that little part keep me from riding this weekend :)
Attachments
IMG_3214.jpg
IMG_3214.jpg (238.61 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Jim B

KIPS fix?

Post by Jim B »

Bark_Buster wrote:Any chance anyone has dimensions for the shaft retainer pin behind that little machine screw (length and diameter)?
I checked the parts diagram. It looks like it's part number 92043-1293; Kawasaki says it's "2x9.8".
Bark_Buster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KIPS fix?

Post by Bark_Buster »

Perfect! Thanks Jim. Got a roller that measures up and will need but a trim down to length. Can't wait to see what I've been missing out on.
Jim B

Re: KIPS fix?

Post by Jim B »

Best of luck with the repair - ride safe!