Shifting issue

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Shifting issue

Post by mwoj »

So I have a 1985 kdx 200. I was reassembling (the clutch, which i also need to ask for help with) and watching a youtube video. Video ended, and the next one came up with this guy who couldnt shift out of first gear on his much newer KDX. I didn't have this issue, but I had my clutch off so I decide I might as well take a look. Well, it looked kinda hairy. Ive only ridden my bike like 3 or 4 times, maybe 3 minutes each, and shifting was questionable.....

And when with the chain off the engine, it sometimes wouldn't shift, and i could NEVER go through all the gears. Like it would stop after second gear, I was constantly trying to find what gear im in. So I take a look at at that area near/under the clutch basket. Sorry if I dont use the right words, im not to familiar with this stuff. Well, first thing I noticed is that the shifter rod/arm (that goes through the crankcase) has about half and inch of back and forth play. I can slide a decent amount. I then noticed the gear selector (the 2 arm looking things), and saw how it worked with the shifter thing (with the little nubs on it for the teeth to grab). I looked at it for 10 minutes and came to the conclusion that the shifter arms were not always grabbing the arms. Well weird...it would grab this set but not the next, yet all the nubs are equal distant apart. So then I slide the shift pedal as close to the crankcase as I can, and I noticed the arms move out so far that they fall out of line with the numbs. Like they literally fell past the nubs. Like the arms go over the nubs.....Could this have happened before, and now something is out of alignment? Also, there appears to be a little stud, approximately in the middle (length wise) of the arms, that seems to be broken off, or something was snapped off the top. Im not to to sure.

Another thing i noticed was that the shift pedal appears to have been welded back onto the main rod that goes through the crankcase (the rod that has alot of play). The bolt that holds it there is just welded all up, (very poorly) to mention.

And to the kid who sold me this bike, who lives in New Milford CT, ya shoulda told me about this when I asked if there were any shifting problems.