Getting a title

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Getting a title

Post by mwoj »

I am looking to get a title for my 1985 kdx 200. I have the bill of sale, but thats it. Eventually I plan to plate the bike for street use, but I'm not there yet. I heard South Dakota is pretty nice for this. Do I just send in my bill of sale and https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/e ... idavit.pdf this? What else do I need?
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Getting a title

Post by 90SDKDX »

mwoj wrote:I am looking to get a title for my 1985 kdx 200. I have the bill of sale, but thats it. Eventually I plan to plate the bike for street use, but I'm not there yet. I heard South Dakota is pretty nice for this. Do I just send in my bill of sale and https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/e ... idavit.pdf this? What else do I need?
Seeing as I am from South Dakota and have gone through the trials and tribulations of getting "lost" titles on new purchases I can walk you through the NOT so easy process. In South Dakota you need much more than simply a bill of sale anymore. I heard back in the day this was the case, but not so anymore.

In order to get a title for a machine that has never been in your name, you have to go through a chain of ownership from yourself to the very last person that was a TITLED owner. If the person you purchased it from was the last titled owner than great! All you need to do is have him apply for a new title and sign it over to you. IF not, hopefully he remembers whom he bought it from (and their information) and so on and so forth until you find the person whom the state has record of having the title last. Once you find that person, they personally have to apply for a new title and sign it over to you.

When I tried getting a title for my 75 Yamaha DT400 it took nearly 6 months to get. Luckily I knew the past three owners and was able to track down the gentleman that inherited it from his father whom passed away many years ago. I may be the 5th owner of the machine but I am only the second person outside his family to have the title. It was a painful process. I actually had to go through the same process on an ATV I bought and sold.

The link you provided would be used AFTER you get a title and have the proper equipment to make it street legal.
Good luck. I hope you have a lot of patience. I don't plan on buying another machine without a title unless it's something rare.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Re: Getting a title

Post by mwoj »

Okay thanks. Do you know if Vermont is any easier?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I would try and find a frame with a title.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

royadams wrote:I would try and find a frame with a title.
For an '85? :lol:

Good luck on any title stuff. I totally screwed myself on a deal lately. I hate the whole deal! :oops:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

I know in Connecticut. to register a motorcycle older than 25 years old, you don't need a title. So maybe il figure something out....