Exhaust and reeds

Got questions? We got answers....
Scrandy

Exhaust and reeds

Post by Scrandy »

Hey, I'm looking for some cheaper mods to get some more power. I was wondering about exhausts because my friend has a YZ125 with a fmf shorty on it. 2 words to describe it would be EAR PIERCING! I'm not really worried about how it sounds as much as it being 1. quiet and 2. gain more power. All my friends care about is how loud something is... I dunno why.. He dosn't race all he does is ride trails and it's horrible for anyone else that's near him. Anyways.. I heard good things about both the V-force 3 reeds and Boysen reeds. Which are better? Finally I was wondering about led bulbs for both the front and rear light thanks! :grin:
2004 KDX220R. I'm Canadian eh.
david

Re: Exhaust and reeds

Post by david »

It would help others to know what to recommend if you would put your bike in your signature.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Exhaust and reeds

Post by Dekon »

For the headlight bulb, there is a sticky at the top of the forum.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

For the tail light, you can plug in LED bulbs that will fit. I'm running one on my 92 and it's very bright, visible, and works great. Yes, the bike is AC. LED doesn't care, it just lights when the current is flowing in the right direction. Hehe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Search around on here for the differences between the Boyesen vs V-Force reeds. If memory serves, the V-Force reeds help more with bottom end power, and the Boyesen reeds help more with top end. I could be wrong but I do remember reading about them on here though.

For quiet silencers, I know a lot of people are partial to the stock pipe with a good repack. I don't think there is that huge of a gain from the silencer alone. You get more of a noticeable gain with changing the pipe (FMF fatty for more top end, FMF Gnarly for bottom end, and Pro Circuit for mid range). If you do want an aftermarket quiet silencer, I have heard good things about the FMF Q-Series.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Scrandy

Exhaust and reeds

Post by Scrandy »

Thanks for all the replies. So a pipe helps more than a silencer. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

I just noticed something. I know that this is off topic but search KLX400R and look at the plastics. I'm not sure if it will fit but maybe if you take the KLX side panels and fenders it would fit onto the kdx? Do you think it'd work?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Scrandy wrote:I just noticed something. I know that this is off topic but search KLX400R and look at the plastics. I'm not sure if it will fit but maybe if you take the KLX side panels and fenders it would fit onto the kdx? Do you think it'd work?
If you check on partzilla.com, they cross-reference what parts fit other bikes; so you might want to check there. Go to the parts diagram, click on the part in the parts list on the side and it will cross-reference what other bikes the part fits on the bottom of the screen.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

That's not a hard and fast rule though. That list only states that bikes that Kawasaki put that exact part on.

For example, the shrouds on the KDX have a different part number than KLX shrouds. You may be able to bolt the KLX shrounds directly up to the KDX, but the parts fische will not say that because they are two different part numbers and Kawi only called to use the one number on the the one bike.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Exhaust and reeds

Post by Dekon »

Sorry for the miss information.