A wiring question

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

A wiring question

Post by pumpguy »

The bike I'm working on is an H series KDX 200.

A previous owner replaced the stock headlight with a UFO that has a dual filament 35 W bulb. In doing so, he made jury rig connections, snipping off the bullet connectors and twisting some wires together. I'm trying to upgrade this setup with proper connectors and a high-low dip switch.

I'm having a confusion about where some wires go. The wire harness that runs from just below the ignition coil up to the headlight area has 3 wires down by the coil; black, yellow, and red.

I know black is ground to the frame. Yellow is power coming from the magneto. Now, the red one is just one lead by the coil, but comes out of the harness in the headlight area as 2 leads. Both are red and they both have continuity with the end down by the coil.

Two questions:
1) What type of bullet connectors should these previously snipped off red leads have; male, female, or one of each?

2) Where should these red leads be connected to?

I have a copy of the stock wiring diagram, but am having a problem with orienting the diagram with what's actually on the bike. I've added in the dip switch to the wiring diagram, so that's no problem. I just don't see where and how those 2 red leads are supposed to be connected.

All help would be greatly appreciated.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A wiring question

Post by canamfan »

With the bikes original on off switch one wire was red and the other yellow, so you plug the red and yellow into the switch, so the power goes thru the switch and then the red wire on to the bulb the red also goes to the taillight. I believe one black wire would go to the bulb center spade. So the red and yellow go to the switch and the other red goes to the bulb along with the ground. Clear as mud. Hope this helps.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

A wiring question

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks for your reply. I GOT IT NOW!

I had socket connectors on both red leads, where I really needed one socket and one bullet.

Now that that's corrected, using a 1 amp 12 vac power supply, all lights and dip switch work the way they should.

One more problem solved.

THANKS AGAIN!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A wiring question

Post by canamfan »

Good deal Ride on!!!