Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Got questions? We got answers....

Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 04:28 pm Jun 10 2016

I decided to go ahead and try adjusting my floats instead of rebuilding. It used to pour gas out and now it doesn't, but it idles way too high. Boots are snug on the carb, pic attached. The only time it doesn't idle too high is with the choke on. What do I do? What did I do wrong? Please help. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 04:30 pm Jun 10 2016

I didn't even clean it other than recleaning the float needle seat. I adjusted the floats and sometimes the gas line from gas tank bubbles instead of a constant flow like it used to. What is wrong?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby kx200 » 05:02 pm Jun 10 2016

How far out is your idle screw?
User avatar
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
 
Posts: 242
Images: 0
Joined: 08:30 pm Dec 02 2013
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 05:05 pm Jun 10 2016

kx200 wrote:How far out is your idle screw?

It was out a couple turns, but I just reset it to the 1.5 turns and adjusted from there. It didn't seem to help much, I just don't see why it would do this suddenly. All I did was change the float height, could I have over adjusted it? It was overflowing so I adjusted it to where it closes off earlier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby Alectravis » 05:37 pm Jun 10 2016

I had this same problem after I rebuilt my kdx, I would like to give you the exact reason, but I have no clue. after i had this problem I pulled it apart and replaced my head gasket and my reed cage gasket and checked everything over. Seems to be okay now. But I'm guessing it has something to do with that area between the cylinder and carb (if the idle screw does nothing.)
Alectravis
Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 09:26 pm Dec 17 2015
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 05:44 pm Jun 10 2016

Alectravis wrote:I had this same problem after I rebuilt my kdx, I would like to give you the exact reason, but I have no clue. after i had this problem I pulled it apart and replaced my head gasket and my reed cage gasket and checked everything over. Seems to be okay now. But I'm guessing it has something to do with that area between the cylinder and carb (if the idle screw does nothing.)

The idle screw helps, but not much. If I screw it around 3-4 turns out it's about like it normally is. Could I have just over adjusted the floats?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby ohgood » 05:47 pm Jun 10 2016

sammydogjj wrote:
Alectravis wrote:I had this same problem after I rebuilt my kdx, I would like to give you the exact reason, but I have no clue. after i had this problem I pulled it apart and replaced my head gasket and my reed cage gasket and checked everything over. Seems to be okay now. But I'm guessing it has something to do with that area between the cylinder and carb (if the idle screw does nothing.)

The idle screw helps, but not much. If I screw it around 3-4 turns out it's about like it normally is. Could I have just over adjusted the floats?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



if you adjusted the float too lean, it would cough back bubbles (possibly) and make the idle faster, yes
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
 
Posts: 912
Images: 3
Joined: 10:00 am Jan 04 2014
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 05:51 pm Jun 10 2016

ohgood wrote:
sammydogjj wrote:
Alectravis wrote:I had this same problem after I rebuilt my kdx, I would like to give you the exact reason, but I have no clue. after i had this problem I pulled it apart and replaced my head gasket and my reed cage gasket and checked everything over. Seems to be okay now. But I'm guessing it has something to do with that area between the cylinder and carb (if the idle screw does nothing.)

The idle screw helps, but not much. If I screw it around 3-4 turns out it's about like it normally is. Could I have just over adjusted the floats?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



if you adjusted the float too lean, it would cough back bubbles (possibly) and make the idle faster, yes


Too lean as in it shuts off earlier or overflows? It was overflowing so I made it close off earlier, and I have seen back bubbling (which I've never seen before) while it idles high. So a quick float adjust seems like it COULD help?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby Tedh98 » 08:26 pm Jun 10 2016

I would readjust the float so the fuel level is higher in the bowl and see if the high idle persists.

Or maybe the throttle cable got hung up while you were working on the carb and it isnt allowing the slide to close?
User avatar
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: 01:08 pm Mar 20 2009
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 10:23 pm Jun 10 2016

Tedh98 wrote:I would readjust the float so the fuel level is higher in the bowl and see if the high idle persists.

Or maybe the throttle cable got hung up while you were working on the carb and it isnt allowing the slide to close?

It could be a combination of either, that's what I was thinking. May as well break it open and rebuild it, because I have the parts. While I'm in there I'll adjust the floats a little and make sure when I reinstall the throttle tube it isn't hung up. For now I just have the idle screw around 4 turns out and it runs fine, but that's not a permanent fix.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby canamfan » 02:42 pm Jun 11 2016

A quick way to check float height is to take off the float bowl, attach a longer fuel line to the carb. Put the end of the fuel line in your mouth (your going to blow thru it) hold the carb up where you can see the float easily. Let the float hang down, as you start to blow push the float up slowly. It should shut off the airflow when the float is parallel to the carb body gasket surface. Adjust accordingly and if it wont shut off you know you have a leaky shut off valve.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
 
Posts: 444
Images: 52
Joined: 09:55 pm May 08 2011
Location: butler mo USA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby sammydogjj » 03:52 pm Jun 11 2016

canamfan wrote:A quick way to check float height is to take off the float bowl, attach a longer fuel line to the carb. Put the end of the fuel line in your mouth (your going to blow thru it) hold the carb up where you can see the float easily. Let the float hang down, as you start to blow push the float up slowly. It should shut off the airflow when the float is parallel to the carb body gasket surface. Adjust accordingly and if it wont shut off you know you have a leaky shut off valve.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
sammydogjj
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05:54 pm Dec 05 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby Jaguar » 09:19 pm Jun 11 2016

twist the throttle and see if there is any play there. If not then most probably the cable didn't seat completely into its holder on the top of the carb which is causing the slide to be kept a bit open. If there's no play and the cable is seated correctly then just adjust the cable slack at the carb or at the throttle.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
User avatar
Jaguar
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: 01:32 am Jul 03 2013
Location: Paraguay
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby Slick_Nick » 10:43 am Jun 13 2016

Your throttle stop screw looks like it's in WAAAAAAAYYY too far.
'00 KDX 220R
User avatar
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 908
Joined: 10:06 pm Oct 22 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby Julien D » 10:56 am Jun 13 2016

Yes, it sounds like you are mistaking the air mixture screw with the idle screw.
Image
User avatar
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
 
Posts: 5660
Images: 7
Joined: 07:53 pm Nov 07 2008
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Bike idling way too high after float adjustment

Postby G22inSC » 01:15 pm Jun 13 2016

sammydogjj wrote:
kx200 wrote:How far out is your idle screw?

It was out a couple turns, but I just reset it to the 1.5 turns and adjusted from there.




Remember...ALL tuning is done by turning "brass" and idle speed is adjusted with the plastic screw and spring.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'08 Kaw KX65 (oldest boy's)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (youngest boy's)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
User avatar
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
 
Posts: 402
Images: 56
Joined: 10:23 pm Jul 24 2006
Location: South Carolina
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 13 times


Return to KDX General Q&A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], WhiskeyRider775 and 4 guests