Cleaning and Packing Stock Exhaust?

Got questions? We got answers....
sammydogjj

Post by sammydogjj »

I'm planning on taking off my pipe circuit and burning out all of the carbon/residue, welding cracks shut, and buying new gaskets for the header. Is there any way to repack the stock exhaust? I'm on an 05 KDX 200 and it seems to be riveted or welded on. I'm not completely sure, though. Can you repack the stock exhausts and if so, what is the best packing material for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

The stock silencer / spark arrestor is not designed to be repacked. This is only true for the various aftermarket silencers.

Cleaning instructions in the owners manual states:
Remove the right side cover.
Remove drain plug from spark arrestor.
In an open area away from combustible materials, start the engine with the transmission in neutral.
Raise and lower engine speed while tapping on the muffler with a rubber mallet until carbon particles are purged from the muffler.

For some reason, these cleaning instructions are not included in the factory service manual.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

And put a drain pan under that plug when you take it out...... mine drained old goopy oil out for what seemed like forever, lol
sammydogjj

Post by sammydogjj »

thirdgenlxi wrote:And put a drain pan under that plug when you take it out...... mine drained old goopy oil out for what seemed like forever, lol
Thank you so much! Where can I get a manual with this info in it? Also, mine sputters some out the front of the header, should I just go ahead and get new springs and a gasket too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

There's a couple of owners manuals on eBay right now. Be sure you get manual for H Series KDX 200 & 220, 1995 and later. Service manual is different, and goes into very thorough details. Online version is available through this site.

As far as the exhaust goes, there are 2 O rings and a copper crush washer used to seal. It is often recommended to use high temp silicone sealant also.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Cleaning and Packing Stock Exhaust?

Post by KDXGarage »

www.kawasaki.com for free, legal, downloadable copies of many of the later owner's manuals.

1995 and newer stock spark arrestors do not have packing inside.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128