Stripped thread (KIPS main valve) on cylinder head.

Got questions? We got answers....
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

A short while back I discovered my KIPs was not working because the little tab at the base of the KIPS shaft located behind the clutch cover had broken off. Upon disassembly of the whole KIPS mechanism on the top end I found that a bolt holding the main KIPS valve had backed out completely and jammed the KIPS mechanism solid.

This project went on hold for a while as other important things occupied my time. With all the good weather having arrived I made a resolve to get the KDX back together and running again. Upon reassembling the KIPS mechanism I discovered that the bolt hadn’t backed out so much as it had simply fallen out (stripped threads). I guess the PO didn’t own either a torque wrench or an empathy for aluminum threads. So, now I am looking at a helicoil thread insert to repair the damaged threads.

I was able to use a die to clean up the bolt, as well as determining the thread pitch to be M5 x 0.8. Other than the usual helicoil precautions, are there are specific things to be aware of for this job? Has anyone done this same repair before and have any words of wisdom?

Is a helicoil a good option, or should I consider a timesert?

If going with a helicoil, should I use something like Loctite Red?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Haven't experienced the exact problem you describe, but have had problems with the combination of helicoils and Loctite. Had the helicol insert come out with the bolt due to the loctite bond between the bolt and the insert.

I prefer bushing type inserts with staking pins to keep the insert from unscrewing after installation. I would look into Keenserts.