Stator issue

Got questions? We got answers....
Chilly

Stator issue

Post by Chilly »

I have 99 kdx200. When I bought it it ran good until I lost the top end. So I put a new top end on it. Then my seals blew out on the bottom end, so I had that rebuilt. My question is, could the oil that leaked out have ruined my stator because I can't get the bike to run good. I took it to a carb guy thinking it just needed jetting. He said he has tried everything and the bike still runs the same. It starts good idles good and has good bottom end power but the top end sucks.
Chilly

Re: Stator issue

Post by Chilly »

Another question. I can't find a after market stator for this model and a oem part is 330.00. Do you know where I can find one.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Stator issue

Post by Dekon »

Are the KIPS valves set up correctly? I'm just thinking out loud here, but if it has good bottom end but the top end is soft it sounds like the KIPS are not opening. Also, are the timing marks lined up?
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I had a dealer do the kips for me. Timing marks seem to be in the correct spots. But I only checked them from that little side cover and where the left handed nut is. The guy that did my carb work says he worked on a 250r and said it started and idles fine but when he reved it to high rpm it would cut out just like my bike is doing. He put a stator on it and it ran great. How do I check to see if my stator is good because they are high dollar.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I called Rick Stator and he is sending me the stator coil only for 60.00. Its just the coil so I have to take the old one off and solder this one back on. So if any of you ever have stator issues call this guy.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Stator issue

Post by 90SDKDX »

I'm in the process of replacing the source coil on my 1990 Kdx200. I also purchased one from Ricky stator, however it was wound incorrectly. He is sending me a new one so hopefully this one is correct. My problem was hard to start/stalling when the bike was warm.

Just so you know the new coil may put out a higher voltage than the OEM did. This will cause a slight advance in the timing, however it is not a big issue and can be compensated for by retarding the timing with the stator plate, if needed.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

yes the oil spit out past the bad seal can affect this problem because it lessens the electrical contact where the screw heads touch the stator plate if there is corrosion there or the screws are loose. That metal to metal contact is the ground path for the spark, believe it or not.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Good to know. This whole thing has been a mess. I have owned this bike since Christmas last year and I have ride it less than a mile. Nut I have been relying on people for help so it's my fault I guess. But iv learned a lot about 2 strokes so I'm not to bummed out.