flywheel weight?

Got questions? We got answers....
parker72001

flywheel weight?

Post by parker72001 »

Has anybody used this? Does it really help stop stalling and make low rpm's that much smoother. It's $90 and I was just wondering if it's worth it. If anyone has it, how tough is installation? It seems like it would be fairly easy.
Thanks
Parker
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Q: Used it
A: Yes use search for FWW

Q: Does it help stop stalling
A: Yes. use search for FWW

Q: Does it make low RPM smoother
A: No, proper jetting does this. It will keep the motor turning a tad longer due to the inertia of the added weight. Locking the rear on downhills still kills the motor.

Q: Is it worth it
A: Yes, if you are in a slow tight snotty area where power delivery needs to tamed. (this is another question you could have asked) use search for FWW

Q: How tough is the installation
A: Very easy. use search for FWW see CC's tips

In short, do a search for FWW, there are a few of us that use/used them and wrote on here about them.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yup.

...if you wanted another opinion................

:wink:

...sometimes I just kill myself.........har har har....

re Q3:
Locking the rotor does kill the motor. The balance between that point and the motor running 'longer' due to intertia changes considerably. It is considerably more difficult TO lock the back brake with a FWW.

Anecdotal input.....
Without a FWW it used to take hardly a touch of brake to kill my bike on downhills. Obviously...that sucks. When turning the tranny by the rear wheel (usually it's the other way 'round, right?) it's tough to shift, you lose the use of the little engine braking you have, you're not setup to twist it and go..obviously.

After the FWW? I have to conciously intend to apply the brake hard enough to do that. The inertial aspect keeps the motor running even when you would swear it SHOULD have stopped. I realize that sounds kind'a stupid, but you will know what I'm talking about if you get one.

The 'bottom end' part of things is 'smoothed out' to some extent. That's largely a semantics point..I am picking the nit. Yes, jetting and other configuration make for a 'smooth' low RPM range..so does the added inertia of a FWW in a slightly different fashion.

There is more than one choice of brand of weight, I believe. That may not be true for the KDX..but certainly more than one outfit makes FWWs. Get one from Steahly. It's easy to put on, it's removeable, it works.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

flywheel weight made my bike a WHOLE lot easier to ride in the woods. less stalling, and less wheel spin, even seems to tractor a little easier.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've removed mine since I got an auto clutch. Perhaps I'll get rid of it. Anyone interested?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd be interested in giving it a whirl so to speak.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's a Steahly off my 1999 KDX 220. I don't remember the actual weight of it, but not hard to check I suppose. Check to see if it will fit your bike from that info and it's yours. I suppose some website should be able to list out a part # for the two bikes we have and let you know if it's the same.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Looks like the part number is the same for both bikes.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K.
So now you can come pick it up, right?

Just kidding. If you don't wanna wait until we hook up for a ride again, I'll be happy to mail it off to you.
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Back in the day when I used to ride my KDX.... w/a Steahly FWW

I seem to remember that sometimes while going up a steep hill, if the motor stalled, sometimes when I'd pull in the clutch it would refire! :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Mine too, Wib. Now with the auto clutch, it's just not needed. I'd rather have the throttle response a lighter mass would provide me. (Quicker revving and all, you know)
Jerry