Auto clutch?

Got questions? We got answers....
Grayhorse

Auto clutch?

Post by Grayhorse »

What is an auto clutch and how does it work?
96 KDX 200 H2
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

its very expensive
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

I don't know much about them so I'll ask another question.

Does the engine ever bog down on steep hills, if so, how do you get the rpm's back up?
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ski wrote a good write up about his autoclutch. Basically a autoclutch is a centrifical clutch that is activated by the movement of balls on a ramp. The faster the clutch is spinning the more the balls are driven to the end of the ramp causing the clutch to engage and disengage. If it bogs down you just shift to another gear.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Check: this for info on the EFM clutch.

Bog down? That's what an autoclutch takes care of. If in a locked-up state the RPMs drop, the clutch with slip to get the Rs back up. That slipping point is adjustable by adding/removing washers (shims) in the assy. That adjustment can be done on the trail. It involves taking the RH clutch cover off, but it's not that big a deal.

You cannot use the manual clutch with the autoclutch on the KDX. You can on some models (if the clutch activation is from the 'inside' of the clutch, not from the 'outside' as is true in the KDX).

Yep. It's some coin, around $500.

Those that have used it love it. Those that have not? Well...maybe they've TRIED it but they just can't get out of the CLUTCH of things...... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

check out this homemade autoclutch

this came from an article on ktmtalk
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=143851&hl=clutch
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

oh yeah, obviously home-made. Looks like he pounded an old pot into shape with a rock. Sheesh, what amateurs. Hard to believe such a primitive looking attempt would even work.
:blink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The way the auto clutch works is like m0rie said. Ball bearings are forced up ramps, arranged in a radial pattern around the pressure plate, which presses the clutch plates together. The faster the motor turns, the further the centrifigal force forces the balls up the ramp and the motor locks up to the tranny. If you bog down, that would mean the motor is slowing down. Then the balls would roll back down the ramps and the clutch would slip. The clutch slips and the motor disconnects from the tranny and the motor can rev back up. It's like having Jeff Fredette miniturized and sitting where your clutch lever used to be, doing all the work for you. I have the EFM autoclutch on both my KDX and my KX250. My riding buddy has it on a KX500. They are indestructable. Once you get used to turning over the clutch duties to the autoclutch, you are able to concentrate on other details of your riding. I won't ever have another dirtbike without one. I also installed a hand operated rear brake where my clutch lever was. Now, my braking is like riding a mountain bike. Both feet are free to come off the pegs or stay on them independant of the need for braking. For a test ride, come see me!!! I've got a KDX just sitting around waiting for someone to go for a little ride!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:oh yeah, obviously home-made. Looks like he pounded an old pot into shape with a rock. Sheesh, what amateurs. Hard to believe such a primitive looking attempt would even work.
:blink:
:lol: :supz: :lol:

Grrrr, stop bringing these things up, I CAN'T AFFORD IT !!! :twisted: :razz: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I ride with two guys that have KTm 450's. One guy has an auto clutch, the other doesnt. The guy with the auto clutch bike makes difficult climbs look easy. He says his confidence has increased 100 % since the new clutch install. He told me just knowing you are not going to kill the bike 3/4 of the way during a hard climb or trail makes a huge difference.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Pansy arses............ :roll:

I know I'm going to kill it 3/4 the way up...and I go for it anyway!

Mebbee that's just stoopid? :neutral:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Pansy arses............ :roll:

I know I'm going to kill it 3/4 the way up...and I go for it anyway!

Mebbee that's just stoopid? :neutral:
That's not stupid.

This is stupid: (an e-mail I received today from the Georgetown Ranger District; Eldorado National Forest)

To All,

The District Ranger, Tim Dabney has decided to keep the Rock Creek
Trails
Closed to OHVs, bicycles and equestrians due to the past major storm events. The trails will remain closed until the trail system could be evaluated for damage, armoring and if the drainage structures are functional and if the trails are safe. Extended closure may affect a specific trail or area or all trails in the area. This practice is listed in the Rock reek Recreational Trails Revised Draft of the Environmental Impact Statement on page 3-8.

Skipro speaking again: They closed the trails because it rained more than 1.5 inches in 24 hours. There is usually a 48 hour drying out period. It stopped raining on Monday and today is Friday. The trails are staying closed in part until they can be inspected to be sure they are safe?!??!?!
Maybe if I told them I had an auto clutch then I could ride there and you couldn't.

We are screwed people. SCREWED
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i think that they are checking them to make sure that the rains did not ruin the drainage system. if any rain berms, pipes, diversions etc. are compromised and lead to unmanaged runoff to the streams, then they could be in violation of Water Pollution standards. I work for a state gov't env section, and the Water Pollution section is the most strict and anti impact, they get a lot of heat from EPA. A big push right now is for non point pollution compliance in the streams. this is why you have to knock out any mouth breather on a quad you see mucking up streams, water pollution control will shut down your OHV parks and not think twice about it.

your safety is not high on their list, covering their arse is.

i believe this fine autoclutch thread just got highjacked, whoops. it's skipro3's fault not mine. :mrgreen:
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did someone sat... "AUTOCRUTCH"? :lol:

Just razzin ya Jer...

re:homemade

My @ss! Yeah... if you live in the back of a machineshop!~ :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sorry for the hyjack. I just don't see how a couple dozen dirtbikes riding mountains that have been rained on for millions of years are going to do or add to any "damage" caused by the rains. It's the wording about the trails being "safe" that most concerns me. I called them and they talked about things like trees down across the trails and such. I tried to explain we dirt bike riders LIKE downed trees to cross. It's the sport to concour the difficult obsticals that makes the event exciting. As far as safe? I wear over $1400 in safety gear; no it isn't safe. And removing a downed tree isn't going to make it any safer.
Helmet: $500+
Boots: $250+
Knee Braces: $500+
FlakJacket; $150+

But enough hyjacking; I'll start a new thread on the attacks on our sport. It was only that I was on this thread, when the Safety Police stepped in and ruined my Sunday ride. So I vented. Pffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttt. (That's my typed expression of a venting)
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Should move to Illinois! They couldn't give a sh!t about your safety! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Damn youi ppl, up here in Canada, none gives a rats ass about you anywhich way...and auto clutch? cumon dudes, thats lazy, its a "DIRT BIKE" its meant to get thrown around, tossed up hills, crashed, dirty, scratched, beaten up, blown up (if its two stroke) and allround get its ass kicked...mebye thats a Hickish, Canadian view but it seems to prevail up here... :supz: :partyman: :rolleyes: :lol:
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well now! THAT was meanspirited!!

Just for THAT, I'm going to quit taking Canadian language lessons!! Here I was just trying to get along...and I was doing so WELL, too!!

wee wee mesewer!!

:wink:

Consider the source

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Hey motomou...uuuugh...I mean... motohed, you started modding that bike of yours yet? :mrgreen:
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Amazing what some guys can do with a 6x6 square bar, torch and a grinder. :?
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."