KDX200 Rewound Stator DC Conversion Problems

Got questions? We got answers....
masnecc

Post by masnecc »

I have a KDx200-e1 (1989 model) that was a pure AC System with no regulator. I rewound the stator with 18ga coated magnet wire, and that works a treat. With a 55w bulb I still get 17-18v idle, and a quick rev will shoot it up to 30v with the load then the bulb will blow. Short circuit amperage is 7.52a at idle.

My issue is I am trying to convert it to DC. I have tried two different reg/rectifiers and am having one heck of a time making them work. I did "float the ground" and brought the other end of the stator out the factory loom so it isn't grounded to the stator plate.

Those are the two different reg/rectifiers I have tried. The black one is new and supposedly a full wave, the grey one is a known good one off of my chineese 50cc atv. Battery I am using is a car alarm sealed lead acid backup battery.

Connecting it that way yeilds 0 voltage output on the grey one, and 3vdc on the black one at idle then goes to 0 when I rev. With a battery connected (10.7v, its dead) to the black one voltage is 13+ at idle, and drops to battery voltage as i rev with no load conected. With a load connected (55w headlight bulb) voltage is 10.3v at idle and drops as I rev.

I am charging the battery now off the bike and will try again tomorrow. What would cause the voltage to drop as the revs increase?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX200 Rewound Stator DC Conversion Problems

Post by 6 Riders »

You don't say how you have the battery and head light wired, but..I believe it should be........
From coil; Positive to wave, negative to wave, then battery; positive to wave , negative to wave, headlight positive to battery, negative to battery.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
masnecc

Post by masnecc »

I am using test wires with alligator clips at the moment until I know it works then I will sort out mounting the regulator and battery.

But I have stator wired to inputs on regulator, outputs of regulator wired to battery, and light wired to battery. What is a wave?

Did some research and it seems that when the motor is revved up the current increases and the battery takes more amperage, dropping the voltage. This is caused by the battery being dead. After a quick charge the voltages showed a big improvement, will try again tomorrow. I believe I nailed it.
masnecc

Post by masnecc »

Update:

With battery charged and no load 14.6-14.8v at idle. Load goes to 13.2v (55w headlight bulb). Voltage still continues to drop when revved (1v drop loaded and unloaded when revved up). Decided to connect my HID to see if it would work, and it gets dimmer and flickers as it rev's. Switched meter to AC and was getting 3-6VAC out of the rectifier! I'd say I got a bad reg/rec! Will purchase the TrailTech in the next few days and try that.