Engine Noise

Got questions? We got answers....
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Engine Noise

Post by Dave B »

Just picked up a 2003 kdx 220, Starts and runs excellent, when riding the motor makes a rattle or knocking type sound if lugged just prior to coming on the pipe. Seems to be only at that specific RPM. Could this be KIPS rattle? Or possible piston knock?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Engine Noise

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. I think there are a couple of KIPS rattle videos on Youtube.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Dave B »

Great site BTW, lots of info here. I am not new to two strokes or exhaust valves but i am new to the KDX or Kawasaki's for that matter. I do hear the KIPS valve at an idle like others here have posted but what I am experiencing is a noise at a bit higher rpm. I hear it when driving just before the motor comes onto the pipe, when driving down a road or lugging in a tight trail. If the motor is held at that constant rpm it sounds like a rattle or knock but stops when the motor comes to life into the power band. Appears to be coming from the top end, it doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in as long as its at that same rpm. Just curious if anyone else experiences this and its just a KDX "thing". Is there a way to tell if the valve is working or a way to make it inoperable and then take the bike for a ride to isolate it the valve from the equation? To take a step back....I don"t know when the top end was last freshened up....it may be piston slap?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The actuator arm is held on by a left hand thread nut. You can look in there to assess the situation.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Dave B »

My got feeling got to me .... so I decided to tear the motor down. Low and behold there was a factory piston in there ( had an A on the dome). Not sure if its the original or not but I do know that the guy I bought it from has owned it for the last 12 yrs and never rebuilt it...he didn't ride it hard or much for the past 6yrs. I checked the cylinder/piston clearance with feeler gauges and it is .15mm...manual says .07 - .08mm, ring gap was at the limit. Surprisingly the piston isn't in bad shape nor is the cylinder, not sure if it would be wore beyond limits. Guessing my noise was piston related!!