KIPS lever shaft

Got questions? We got answers....
Sander34

KIPS lever shaft

Post by Sander34 »

Hello guy's,

I have a problem with my kdx200 Kips lever shaft. This is the little plate attached to the lever with a nut. Now my problem is that when you turn the plate the lever sometimes doesn't turn with it. But the nut is locked ( i can't even get it loose ). Now is this suppose the be like this or should it be locked? And if it have to be locked in what position? In 90° angle to the little plate in the bottom attached with allen bolts?

I would upload a video of the problem but I don't know how.
If you have questions about my problem just ask.

Thanks in advance.
Sander34

Re: KIPS lever shaft

Post by Sander34 »

btw it is the kdx200E so from 1989-1994. Forgot to mention that.
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KIPS lever shaft

Post by bultaco4ever »

You know that it is the opposite LH thread, right? Clockwise to loosen...
Sander34

Post by Sander34 »

Jep. But it is locked and the plate isnt tight. So this isnt normal? What position should i lock it?
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KIPS lever shaft

Post by bultaco4ever »

So, you have the governor shaft and the governor lever and a LH nut that goes on top of the shaft. You don't have it upside down, do you? I use a big adjustable crescent wrench to support the lever when I tighten the nut that holds it to the shaft....counter clockwise to tighten....use Loctite (blue).
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I am not familiar with the E series, but I would assume there is a pin or some other type of system that would mechanically connect the rod and lever together. The LH nut just keeps them together.
Sander34

Post by Sander34 »

I don't understand.

you got a lever ( cilinder ) on the bottem end off the cilinder you got the litte plate with the allen bolts and on the top of the lever you got thread. Over this thread sits a little plate and to hold it together there is this bolt ( LH ) but the plate on the top end moves in my case. even if the bolt is tightend. And i could lock it with a weld beam or something but then i need to know in what position the plate has to be.

Is there a way i can upload images or a video so i can make clear to you guy's what i mean?

kind regards
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

The LH nut shouldnt be the only thing that holds those two parts together. On the H series a pin mechanically holds them together AND positions the lever properly.

I am guessing something is broken or missing on yours. But pictures would be helpful.