KDX 220 Jetting

Got questions? We got answers....
SamJ

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by SamJ »

Hey everyone I bought a used KDX 220 2001 last week and Im am wondering if the bike needs to be jetted or rejetted. It has a fmf Gnarly pipe on it and the previous owner doesnt know if its been jetted or not. I have never owned a 2 stroke before, so I dont know how to tell if its working perfect or not. It runs great wide open but has a bottom end sputter that doesnt go away untill past 1/4 throttle or so. Ive been looking into jetting and would like some input on what jets/needles to put in or maybe just run it like it is. It seems to work great, the bottom end sputter may even be the norm for 2 stroke dirt bikes, Id just like a little help Thanks.
Chilly

Re: KDX 220 Jetting

Post by Chilly »

Did you ask the guy if he has ever had the top end rebuilt? If he says not sure then I would start there first.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Could just need a leaner pilot jet, also go through the air screw adjustment procedure. It can be found on this site.
cornishwrecker220

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Try these as base settings.....

40:1 mix run a 40/42 pilot jet....
With the air box snorkel removed 145/148 main jet & needle in the mid position....air screw 1.5 +\- .5 turns....if the bike runs blubbery down low then raise the needle to the 2nd from top position...
If the air box lid has been removed ( the 220 runs better with it on ) then the main jet needs to be stopped for 148/152 ....the above is a rough guide.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

The low end sputter in a 220 is the slide cut away. Kawasaki made it a little too rich and thats why it sputters.

Increasing the slide cut away from a 5.5 to 6.5 will fix it . Jetting or needle won't fix this one.

RB has this mod available far cheaper than a new slide.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
cornishwrecker220

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I have to disagree ....

The 220 slide is exactly the same as the ( H series ) 200 ...the E series does have a different cutaway ( leaner , I've tried this on my 220 with poor results) ....the needle on the 220 is different to that of the H series 200 in that it is half a clip richer , I believe you can fine tune this by using shims under the clip to dial in the jetting , however being a 2 stroke you will never cure a slight blubber .....I've tried endless needle swops but always gone back to the original 220 needle ( cel & del needles do not suit the 220 ) ..in my opinion a 35mm kdx 200 carb with the 220 needle & slide works the best on a 220, however I now run a 36mm kx carb with even better results ( although my 220 has had some serious work done to the motor )
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

My 220 with reeds and pc2 pipe, stock carb with 38 pilot has no stutter when the air screw is dialed in.
CAL-kawi

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by CAL-kawi »

I wouldn't worry too much about a little low end blubber, it should do this under light load in the lower rpm range at small throttle openings. It should clear up instantly with a slight twist of the wrist if the jetting is close. If there is no stutter in these conditions you could be too lean on your air screw or needle position, and that could be bad for high rpm decel or continuous rpm at small throttle openings.
But definitely check out the jetting guide. Also giving a little attention to any engine characteristics changes as temps and elevations change can be very helpful in learning to recognize lean vs rich symptoms.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by C George »

I think the porting style that the 220 uses leads towards a little rich on the bottom end.

We experienced it with both a 33 and 35mm carb on the stock 220 but never on the 200 with either carb.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
SamJ

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by SamJ »

Ok a lot of things to think about here.. The bike isnt running too bad, but I was told to make sure the jetting was right too prevent any major problems in the future. Ill try some of the adjustments mentioned above and see what happens. Thanks a lot everyone. One more thing... Theres a dent in my pipe about 2.5 inches in diameter. How bbad will that effect the bikes function? Pipes arent cheap! :shock: