how long to do top end.(piston change, and clean kips gears)

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

how long to do top end.(piston change, and clean kips gears)

Post by the trail rider »

hey for you have done this, how long will it take to change the piston and clean everything in there you know kips. just wonderin if it is doable in a day :razz: or a weekend :? . thanks a bunch guys. :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

About 3 hours from start to finish if you know what your doing.... a little longer if you don't.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

wow that doesn't sound to bad. thanks a lot
:grin:
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

On the KDX, I usually do the tear-down on evening 1, the cleaning and fitting and KIPS reassembly on evening 2, then put the jug on the bike and reassemble on evening 3. Usually all 1 to 1.5 hour sessions. The KX is faster (carb stays on case, don't need to pull head to do power valves, etc), and last time I did it all in 1 evening. The worst part for me is the coolant. No matter how I do it, it always ends up spilling some or draining out of some crevice or something. Ick.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

it just depends on how bad your powervalves are. if they have never been cleaned before that will take you awhile. just doing the rings shouldnt take you over 3 hours.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
the trail rider

not bad time, but it does sound like i am going to be spending some time on the bike and by cleaning everything up and after break in i should have a much cleaner running bike and have a moderate increase in power than what i am used to just from cleaning and changing the piston. more power=one happy dirt biker. :grin:
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
the trail rider wrote:i should have a much cleaner running bike and have a moderate increase in power than what i am used to just from cleaning and changing the piston. more power=one happy dirt biker. :grin:
On the KDX, I really don't take it apart to change the piston/rings- I take it apart to clean the KIPS and while it's apart, since it's apart and everything, I pop a new piston in.

The KX125 is totally the opposite! I take it apart to put new rings and/or piston and while it's apart, since the thing's staring me in face, I clean the KIPS.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
the trail rider

well this piston change is mandatory, in my mind i cant see myself paying 1,000 bucks to fix my motor to say to myself i could have spent 175.00 and not even change it again until it needed be, and not worrying about my motor blowing up every second. at 15 i cant afford a thousand dollar repair bill and that money can be saved in buying my dads 78 lifted gmc jimmy. just seems more logical to me. thanks guys for all your help on this subject.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

GIT-R-DUN! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "