clutch trouble

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

clutch trouble

Post by kaw814 »

Im having trouble with my clutch. I have a new set of plates/springs....the assembly is all the way in (gears mesh with the kickstarter, primary drive-everything spins correctly. When i put the cover on it forces the arm back to the left..the lever actually points to the clutch cover bolt to the left, not even close to the 90 degrees the manual calls for. Its as if the pushrod is too far out. Im lost, can anyone help me out?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: clutch trouble

Post by ohgood »

count the fibers and steels, then compare to the stock number you took out.

measure the stackup of fibers / steels vs stock. (calipers are fine)

make sure the spacer is in the right place... ;-)
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

well, i got the new clutch in....Now she wont disengage. far as i know spacers are in the right position. I pull the clutch in, put it in gear, and it jumps forward and stalls like i have no clutch at all. Any idea where to look, or is it time to take it in to a shop? I may have to resign myself to the fact that i will have to pay for repairs other than basic maintenance. My mechanical skills are absolutely horrible
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Don't take it to a shop. First let's get some pics. Let's get some pictures of clutch without case. Did you put oil in case? Did you adjust clutch? Are there big grooves in basket fingers?

You can fix horrible mechanical skills. We'll help.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Did you soak the clutch plates before installing them?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

hey guys....my first reaction was to take it to a shop only because i'd rather be riding it than spending so much time in the garage..as far as soaking the plates, yes i soaked the fibers in Belray 80w, the oil i use for abt 45 minutes, then let the entire pack (assembled) soak for 3 days. Im using a Moose unbreakable lever. I think the thing is kinda goofy...it seems to make adjusting then cable more difficult. I also need to mention a rattle that i heard from behind the clutch cover. The rattle went away if i put slight tension on the cable either by hand at the clutch cover or by pulling the lever in. Ill get some pics up when i get back to the bike, but as of now my plan is to open it back up, removing the entire rt side cover instead of just the cheater cover and start from scratch. I had to have missed something and its probably simple. Thats been my trend so far. Ive gotten help from this group more than once. Thanks folks...we'll keep ya uipdated. Im sure people are losing sleep wondering about my bike..haha