2 questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2 questions

Post by Ryan »

i just have two small questions

1. What is the size of the hex bolt on the bottom of the fork, people keep telling me if i take it out my forks will come apart so i can clean them, is this true?

2. I am starting to work on my honda forks right now so i can fill them with oil at the same time as my kdx. I have the forks almost complety disassmbled, except for the inner tube abd outer tube. It says in the manual " Hold the fork slider in a vise with soft jaws or a shop towel, remove the bottom socket bolt" I have done this

"remove the pisto and rebound srping, then separate the slider and fork tube" this is what i dont understand how to do. I have tried to pull it out but it wont come out. Am i missing something??
thanks for any help
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

someone must know the answer~!~!~!~!~!!!! im gonna nuts just sitting here :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. 14mm, and no... your forks will not come apart simply by taking out the lower valve.

2. * Take the inner clip off of the lower slider... where the connect together, then slide the together and pull apart abruptly. You may have to do this several times before they come apart.

* Guessing since this is a Kawasaki KDX site, try this at your own risk.
Kinda like asking a dentist to remove a wart.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

some guy at another site said that the cartagiges will come out. he said that oil builds up in there and that it is a good idea to clean them, will the cartigides come out if i take off that lower bolt?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i did what you said and it came out, and i got oil all over my new slippers :sad: , my mom is gonna be mad
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Yeah well.... why would this be any different than say... evacuating your nitro in your shock? Gotta dress the part!

At least you got the nads to take on these projects..... My nephew is 13 and he has no desire to even look at a wrench.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

would i be able to clean my forks better if i took the bolt on the bottom of the forks out?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes.... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KanuckKDX

honda forks

Post by KanuckKDX »

Not all Honda forks work the same way. One of mine I can spin off with an impact wrench. The other I need a tool to reach inside the tube and hold part of the fork mechanism.

I have service manuals for all my bikes. It makes every task a little easier.

If you're 13, you're on the right track. I can't imagine taking on these tasks at that age. Keep it up. You're amazing.

Disassemble the entire fork to clean it properly.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Click THIS!

The cartridge can be removed when you take out the bottom valve (the 14mm part). The forks will still be held together..you will NOT be able to separate them until you do the other stuff....take out the retaining clip and force the two tubes part. Quick (sharp), repetitive pulls will remove the pressed in bushing that is keeping the two tubes from merely slipping apart.

Let us know how it worked out.

Good luck! You will be way ahead of a LOT of riders in a few years having started wrenching now.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i got my honda forks apart, and i went to sears to get a 14mm hex wrench for my kdx forks but they did not have one.

... and i am 16, not 13, but i was working on my first bike at 13, it was a 1972 yamaha.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok, so if i take the 14mm bolt out of the bottom and the circlip out around my fork seals than i can take my inner fork tubes out right? And will i damage anything by pulling them out, i did this exact process with my honda with not damage but if i will damage my kdx i dont want to do it.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It likely will take a tad more'n a hex wrench. No, I've never tried using one, but with only a hand-wrench you will likely need to either buy or make a cartridge holding tool. It fits into the top of the spring-out fork to hold the cartridge whilst you wrench on the bottom.

The hex socket base valve (the thing on the bottom) will turn without coming out if the cartridge is allowed to spin with it. The base valve is threaded into the cartridge, NOT the fork tube body.

I use a 14mm 1/2" drive 'socket' on an air impact wrench. Sure...if you're not careful with an impact, you could destroy the whole thing. If that's what you use, be careful with it. Don't give it a 120psi blast on the 'hi' impact setting.

'..will I damage...'

Maybe. Depending on how hard you pull the two apart, how well the outer bushing is 'stuck' in the fork tube...you may well ruin that bushing/slider/sleeve. Maybe you won't. It's when you get the bushing out to see it's all scraped up and dinged that you will know you need a new one.

Consider the source

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well the same thing happened with my honda when i tried to take the bottom bolt out, i just put everything back in, then the pressure of the spring kept it from spinning, good idea aint it :wink: . As far as the bushings im gonna see how much they cost, if they arent super expensive im gonna replace them, if they are expensive i will just clean the cartriges and leave everything else in there.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You've been to the buykawi website?

Has all the parts lists, diagrams and part numbers for your bike. Get the info you need.

Go to RonAyer's site, put those numbers in and find out what they cost. If you go to your local shop, expect to probably pay more.

Come to think of it...RonAyers has part numbers/diagrams listed, too! In a bit different format. You may or may not find it easier to use than the 'official' site. One of the quick things on the RA site: They have the PNs directly linked to their shopping cart!

Not absolutely necessary...but a MotionPro seal driver is a very worthwhile tool. Somewhere around $45, so it's not cheap, but..repeat for emphasis...well worth it!

Good luck!

Consider the source