flywheel magnet polarity?

Got questions? We got answers....
jasongoldberg1669

Post by jasongoldberg1669 »

Hi everyone. I recently bought a 1983 kdx 250 that was running when i got it but now has developed a non starting condition. I have replaced the coil , and it would start and seemed to run fine, but all of a sudden it wont start at all. Two days ago i pulled my left side cover off and looked at the flywheel, three of the magnets were dislodged. So i cleaned the magnets and reepoxied them into the flywheel. My question is, do those magnets need to be placed with the polarity in a certain direction to make the bike fire? Any help would be welcome.
jasongoldberg1669

Re: flywheel magnet polarity?

Here is a quick update on my flywheel. I pulled it off the bike and i found that two of the three magnets i reattached to the flywheel are opposite polarity than what i think they shoukd be. So i am stil, waiting for someone who may know something about this for some help.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Don't have mine off right now to check, but other flywheel magnetos I'm familiar with, the magnet polarity is arranged so N of magnet A is next to N of magnet B.

So the arrangement is:
A, S/N
B, N/S
C, S/N
D, N/S

Hopefully, somebody can confirm this is also true for a KDX flywheel.

Good luck
jasongoldberg1669

That would be great if someone could confirm that is correct because i am about to attempt to pull the two magnets that are arranged that way. So if i dont have to do that it would make my day.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

Jason, do a search of my postings if you can,,,, I'm away from my house computer but I have recent postings of correct parity lay out for the flywheels.
I'll check back to this thread lator tonight,,,,