Rules, tips, help for carb tuning at 5,000+ feet

Got questions? We got answers....
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

I live in CO at 5,000 feet. All of my riding will be at 5K or higher, up to 9 or 10k. I'm just learning how to tune/jet my carb. I've been reading the various articles I can find, about to get started.

Are there already some well known settings or tricks for my elevation? Like the subject says, I live at 5k, most of my riding will be 6 to 8k. But later in the summer up to 9 or 10k. If you already have your bike set up for the altitudes, any pearls of wisdom you coudl toss my way? Thanks.
TimmyD

Re: Rules, tips, help for carb tuning at 5,000+ feet

Post by TimmyD »

I live in PA, but come out to Colorado every summer to ride. All I did last year was move my needle up 1 position and it ran like a beast. And we were riding at the same altitude and higher than what you are also.

Hope this helps!
2002 KDX 220
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

ronopolis wrote:I live in CO at 5,000 feet. All of my riding will be at 5K or higher, up to 9 or 10k. I'm just learning how to tune/jet my carb. I've been reading the various articles I can find, about to get started.

Are there already some well known settings or tricks for my elevation? Like the subject says, I live at 5k, most of my riding will be 6 to 8k. But later in the summer up to 9 or 10k. If you already have your bike set up for the altitudes, any pearls of wisdom you coudl toss my way? Thanks.
there is a kdx jetting database, both here on kdxrider, and thumpertalk, and dirtrider.

the jetting guide here on kdxrider, and mirrored on other sites, is the way to go. you should be able to find a BASELINE set of jets for your elevation from those databases, but actually TUNING and understanding the tuning will only come from using the jetting guide. it seems complicated at first, but it's very thorough, very fast, and very easy to make GOOD changes throughout the day (or elevation changes) with the understanding you gain from using it.

give it a shot !
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Rules, tips, help for carb tuning at 5,000+ feet

Post by Jaguar »

Timmy meant to say that he moved the needle clip up one notch which would make it leaner. By the way you can change the clip position without using any tools. Just press it against the cases and it pops off. reverse to pop it back on.
For a days ride of elevation changes just jet it to be slightly rich at the lower elevation.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/