Help me install KIPS part

Got questions? We got answers....
ronopolis

Help me install KIPS part

Post by ronopolis »

I swear this one tiny part 92049 is the bane of my existence. I've had problems with this little oil seal just sticking out a tiny bit and causing friction with the gear 16085. It has happened again, so I want to replace this seal.

The seal is flat on one side, and the other side has a slot between the inner and out diameter. Which side faces in towards the engine? Any other tips or tricks to make sure this is seated properly and not going to interfere with the rotation of the gear?

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Help me install KIPS part

Post by Tedh98 »

I think I have always put the flat side out.

I dont have any tricks for you as they have always gone in with no issues. Any chance there is casting flaw that is keeping the seal from seating properly?
ronopolis

Re: Help me install KIPS part

Post by ronopolis »

Tedh98 wrote: Any chance there is casting flaw that is keeping the seal from seating properly?
I don't think so. I'm much more likely to think it is "mechanic flaw" (me) that caused the issue. And I think I installed it the other way, with flat side in. My new oil seal is fairly firm and stiff. When I re-installed the old one it felt much softer and loose. Maybe the part is just fatigued also. I'm going to re-install the part tonight, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input.