Milky oil and chirping sound

Got questions? We got answers....
rugry

Post by rugry »

2004 KDX220. Replaced crushed left rad w/ a used one...flushed the system. Everything seemed great. 2 mins into first ride, I heard a high pitched sound from the engine. The noise increased/decreased with the engine revs. Rode a little further...power seemed fine...noise went away. Rode a little further...noise came back again. I immediately took bike back to the trailer & noticed the oil was milky white. Haven't ridden it since. I'll change the oil, flush & see if oil is still milky.

I know the milky oil is likely caused by water pump seal. Any idea on the noise? Could it have been clutch noise from the lack of lubrication in the milky oil? I've read on here the water pump seal isn't a tough job but the noise concerns me.

Thanks, in advance for any help/input you guys can give!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Milky oil and chirping sound

Post by 6 Riders »

Could be the water pump bearing, the impeller, seal, etc. Another thing to check is the kickstart return spring.
Start by doing the complete water pump and getting the oil changed. You can Inspect the clutch while you're in there.
Hint, there is no need to remove the outer clutch cover.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

A decent guess on the noise, but it's hard to say. High pitch could have been from the water pump bearing.

Change the seal, bearing then run/change the oil 2-3 times and see what's what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rugry

Post by rugry »

Thanks for the advice. I've never done a water pump assembly on the KDX. Any other hints for success? Especially w/ regard to getting that bearing out & the new one in.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Your in luck, this thread just popped back up!!

Replacing water pump seal: How to
http://162.243.75.126/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17255

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rugry

Post by rugry »

LOL. I think it popped back up because I found it & commented on it. Wanted to thank the guy who did the write up. Really helpful.

He didn't mention how he got the seals & bearing out or back in. I've read a few posts where guys said they had trouble getting the mechanical seal out & back in. The bearing I assume I can heat up the case & knock it out w/ a socket or punch. I'll try freezing the new one before install as well. The mechanical seal looks a little tougher - tough to find a socket w/ thin enough walls to clear the seal yet catch the metal edge?

if anyone has any tips or experience, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I forget how I ended up getting mine in, pretty sure I used a Craftsman deep socket though. I do know that I had to order a 2nd seal. I think I remember installing it completely wrong.
The ultimate trick is to get all the parts that you need as the diagram is not real clear.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rugry

Post by rugry »

thanks 6Riders! im heading to the dealership tomorrow to get everything i need. im gonna replace the kickstarter seal as well as all the gaskets on the right side. the only things I'm not ordering now are the shaft and impeller. hopefully those are in good shape.
david

Post by david »

Knock the seal out any way you can, or dig it out with a large screw driver. You will probably destroy it in the process but that doesn't matter. To press in the new one, I would suggest a piece of PVC pipe that fits the metal cup lip. DO NOT TOUCH the carbon seal surface, it is super brittle and you can very easily chip or crack it. The white, ceramic rotating element is not as delicate, but don't drop it or it will crack too.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
rugry

Post by rugry »

Thanks david! Appreciate the tips.
Changed the oil twice and it seems okay so far. Taking it out this weekend for an extended ride to see if I get any more milky oil. If yes, I'll be cracking the right cover to do the water pump seals/bearing. Figured out the chirping noise tho. When I smashed the rad, i bent the lower rad mount. i had bent it back, but not enough. The exhaust was just barely rubbing the rad mount and causing the chirping as the pipe vibrated against the mount. Glad it wasnt bearing or clutch noise (or worse)!