local mechanic has never heard of piston failure on 220

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Just found this on the web...some moto shop mechanic:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

that is what i thought he was when he told me my bike was jetted lean from the factory and that power reeds don't make a difference. MY dad kept telling me he is experienced and knows what he is doing, bull s#@!. after i showed him the frp site and some piston horror pictures i think he believes me know. pretty funny CC :lol: :lol:
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To be fair...consider the source (you know...like it says...at the bottom?).

Maybe your Dad has had perfect luck in getting things fixed, having some 'mechanic' actually resolve vehicle problems. Maybe he's grown up having people do what they say they are going to do and being ABLE to complete 'the job'.

I haven't. I have (with I think one exception) never had ANYone do ANYthing they said they were going to do. What I've ended up with is one screw-job after another. That is MY source of opinion. I've had machinists, mechanics, construction contractors, etc. etc. cost me thousands of $$ by screwing up, not completing the job, lying to me, selling me some story that only years later I found out to be completely false.

I tend to be on the cynical side of things.

If everything had been different..well...then I too would be (different).

Seems to me you're going about things the right way. Ask questions, do some research, go to the trouble to vet 'things' you are told. It's a sign of growing up, being responsible, being smart. While it is certainly possible for some Dads to deserve a loss of respect, it's most likely that your Dad is genuinely looking out for your best interests. Prove to him through your actions and by being responsibile that you know what you're doing (or that you WILL get it figured out!) and you will probably find him more often on your side of things than 'some mechanic's'.

Get-r-done! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Huh, I've had the same experience as you CC. People say I'm cynical, and wonder why I do almost everything myself. Weird. Anyway, good words on what Dads are thinking, and what makes them see that their sons are becoming men.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

yeah i agree with you guys doing it yourself isn't hard if you have some skills heck i can already understand jetting cept for some of the needle and understand most of the kdx engine without even taking it apart and looking at it. doing your research counts and that manuals and diagrams are critical. doing things yourself is a learning experience and a technical one. plus if you do it yourself you will know you did it right or did it wrong, that is if you take your time, instead of i wonder if he did everything i asked him to and did he forget something? put it back together the way you took it off. thanks a lot guys.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A lot of these mechanics got into the field because they accidently rebuilt a bike that held up once and their buddies soon hired him to build their bikes etc, etc...

Most of these guys have no formal training and use the service manuals just like you or I... at least in this area.... and lean more towards motocross than trail riding, hare scrambles etc...

Nothing against them but we see things with fresher eyes and sometimes that's much better than someone who really doesn't know what you want.

If you want to save yourself frustration... don't ever talk to these guys either.... most you have to wear very tall boots around.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

I often get introduced as a cynic....which is a little embarassing...but kinda true. My life experience is that I must educate myself in pretty much all matters of significance. And that gets pretty tiring and frustrating at times. Without exaggeration my success rate is almost zero when I rely on someone to "do it right" or almost right. Am I too fussy... well I don't think so. Strikes me as pretty odd that we have all had the same experience. And, I truly am tired of arguing with people. At least when I do it myself and it doesn't turn out quite right I know who to give all the credit to! Plus...I have usually saved enough that I can still get it right for less money and I got an EDUCATION to boot!
Now if I just had a bit more memory to hold on to all these "lessons".....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The only time I ever had a pro rebuild a bike for me, he put the wrong size piston in (and left one head bolt just a little more than finger tight). I had no time to do it myself, and needed it before a race. I got to pay big money for the work, pay entrance fees for two races I never got to run, and waste more time and money figuring out what was wrong. Then they gave me a load of grief when I told them I wanted the right parts and I'd do the work myself. After 2 trips back to the shop and a lot of argueing, I finally got the right piston and a ring, but forgot about the gaskets they should replace, so I was still out on the deal :evil: . I did tell my race buds about the experience so a few of them quit going there.

It was just another experience of dealing with incompetence that strengthened my "pack your own parachute" philosophy.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220