Fork level tool

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fork level tool

Post by Ryan »

Hello again. I was wondering if this would help me figure out how much oil i have in my forks. This will work right? will i still have to measure anything if i have this tool? thanks.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... 907&mmyId=
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

You can buy a large 60cc syringe from an animal supply store for $1.75. Mark it for the depth you want (as the rubber washer on the expensive one in the pic) and draw out the oil to the specified level. It is the same thing without the washer/gauge and you save a bunch of $.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

but it will work right?

i picked it up anyway, it was a buy that got me over the $100 mark on my purchase. If i spend $100 i get free shipping so it really only cost me $5.00. Im glad to hear it will work because i spent the whole day trying to change my oil and failed. It is my first time and no one showed me how. I hope it will be easier with that tool. I also picked up a Thor Force chest protector on sale for $65, all the other stores i went to were at least $100, so since i needed one it was a good deal.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

Ryan,

That tool shouldn't help you change fork oil. It helps adjust the level of the oil when you're done changing oil. In theory it should make it easier to get both fork levels the same.

Cleaning forks and changing oil is a bigger job that is well described in posts and in the service manual. The first time you do it, it does take a long time. And without the right tools it is a challenge.

I may be wrong, but to change my fork oil, I have been completely disassembling my forks and replacing seals. That way I can clean every part with solvent, dry it and reassemble. For novices like me, I recommend a complete teardown of the forks. It's the best way to see how they work and the best way to clean the gunk out.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's not necessary to take the two fork tubes (inner/outer) apart to change the oil. To replace the seals, yes...change the oil, no.

In the process of taking them apart, the sliders (bushings) are usually damaged..and they are EXPENSIVE.

Certainly, you're more than welcome to do as you wish..I'm not gainsaying anything already said.

But...to change the oil..the forks can stay 'together'. Taking the spring out is necessary to set the oil level, but you don't have to 'split' the tubes.

With the spring out you can easily clean the internals to a fair degree, too. Use some kerosene, run it through the cartridge by pumping the rod some, drain it out..maybe repeat it for fun. That will get a LOT of the goo out. No, not all..but most of it.

Is a complete tear down the best way to clean 'em? Yep.

re: level setting

I use one'a those 'large animal' syringes.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!