Installing a TrailTech Vapor

Got questions? We got answers....
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

I got the tach to register on the display, but it seems very high. Idling at 4 or 5k. What is a typical idle RPM for a 220?

The tach indicator does go up/down when I throttle. It doesn't seem likely, but is there a chance the KDX 220 is one of those bikes you have to set "Pulse Per Revolution" to 0.5??
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Set pulse to 2 and make sure you are running a resistor plug like bR8es.

1500 or so rpm is normal idle.
Last edited by s10gto on 05:20 pm May 03 2016, edited 1 time in total.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Timely.
I have one I'm finally about to install.
Along with RB modded head and carby. yee haw!
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

There's many a posting about the Tach not reading accurately on KDX's ,,, hopefully they updated these or you'll
have to do some wire shielding.

Yes , over twice the actual rpm's. I can't say it works as we just don't use the tach on my son's bike but some have commented about the
TT picking up a double pulse and having to shield the ground or sensor wire.

Idle would be 12-1500 and redline around 8000 +/- depending on mods and pipe.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
ronopolis

Re: Installing a TrailTech Vapor

Post by ronopolis »

Update: I realized I did not have the power to the main unit grounded properly (light was not coming on when I started the bike). So I fixed that. Now when I start the bike, the light comes on the Vapor(good power), but now the tach instantly goes all the way to max. 15,500 or something crazy like that. All max all the time.

I wrapped the red wire around the spark plug coil. There is way too much red wire. Should I be cutting it short, so I just have enough red exposed for the 5 or so wraps? There is nothing else to do with this wire, correct? Just wrap one end around the spark plug coil, and plug the other end into the unit?

Appreciate your help, I think I'm getting close.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

I am just going by memory of what I did over a year ago.

I did cut it short with just a little to spare (just in case) I striped back the wire and poked the wire under the insulation at the coil plug so it has a metal to metal connection.

I don't always run power to it as I have removed my lighting coil. I do however have a small rechargeable battery pack behind the number plate (only use it if I remember to turn it on but mostly don't)

When it came to setting the number I remember reading it carefully but it did not work as it was supposed to so just changed settings till did. When it does you will know it.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

So you cut the red wire short. And when you say "I stripped back the wire" you mean you stripped back the red wire, and then you didn't wrap it around the spark plug wire -- you poked it in under the insulation? You mean you poked it in right near spark plug hood? Did you have much or any red wire exposed? I think that is my issue, I haven't cut it short, I have a lot of it just open.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

IIRC the KDX doubles the RPMs through the ground. Here is a wayy to test this; Hook the TrailTech up to a 9V battery (this isolates it from the bikes power supply), then wrap the red wire around the spark wire 4 times. Now check the RPM readings.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Had another look and found a picture down near the bottom of page 15
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=280

Striped the shortened red wire back, poked it under the plastic insulation for the single wire connector plug for the coil to wiring harness.

How I did this because the plastic is tight on the plug is. Got a very small thin walled metal tube that just slid over the wire and forced that between the wire and plastic insulation. Then pulled it out the other side, plug end. Took the tube off, striped the wire then pulled the wire back till it sat right at the connector and became part of the connection. I think there was a little shrink wrap involved to make double sure it's water tight.

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

Those pictures are close, but they don't exactly show how the wire is connected to the coil. They just miss the angle I need to see how it is done. I don't understand exactly where the wire touches metal under the plastic. Do you mean you are breaking the plastic with the metal tube, to "insert" the wire under the plastic?

I tried every combination of changing the PPR, and shortening the red wire from many wraps, to 6 , 4, 2 1. And it still read between 4 and 8K RPMs when idling. So that simply isn't working. I need to get this coil trick going, or I'm sending it back.

Like always appreciate everyone's help.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

I hear ya exactly as if it wasn't for building a bracket to hold it behind the headlight assembly ,
I had the same thoughts . The temp and other features work fine.

But I never tried a separette power source or shielded ground wire either :sad:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

The tip of the red wire is striped back and is jammed in between the male and female connector plugs for the wire that powers the coil.

The trailtech will run with out a external power source as it has a internal battery. The external power is mostly for back lighting. If you don't have a external power source the backlighting won't stay on. I built the external battery thinking I would need it. Turns out once the novelty wares off I generally don't look at it much that I notice and you can see it easily enough anyway. I tend to find the ride history more interesting.

ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

Tonight I'll see if I can get the coil trick to work, then I'll try no power. I'm sure I could live without the backlight. But I think without the external power, the temp warning lights don't work.

I've also heard people say that if you do get stuck late at night, trail riding too late and it gets dark, the backlight is *really* bright, to the point of being annoying.
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

So bottom line, no matter what I do if I have power to the unit, I get very high RPMs. If I take power off, it is at least reasonable. Idle around 2k. Seems to register properly when I give it gas. I guess I'll just go without power until I want to mess with it sometime in the future. I did try putting the wire in the connector that powers the coil. Exact same behavior.

Thanks for all the input, I think it will be OK like this. At least I'll get data.