Any reason not to use other kawi regulator / rectifiers?

Got questions? We got answers....
bob_jones

Any reason not to use other kawi regulator / rectifiers?

Post by bob_jones »

I'm getting the impression from looking at schematics that there are a lot of other Kawasakis (KLX, KLR, Bayou, Ninja, etc, etc...) that use a one-piece regulator / rectifier unit. Is there some reason not to install one on a c-series KDX200 to get 12vdc for led headlight & tailight? I've searched the forums and I've yet to see any threads about doing this. Is there some problem with this approach? I wonder if floating the ground on the stator, installing a r/r from another kawi, and then putting in a capacitor / diode setup wouldn't give me a simple route to 12vdc on this old bike. Im not dual-sporting it. I really just want to be able to use a modern LED light setup. I guess technically, no battery or diode would be 100% necessary maybe? Thanks
david

Re: Any reason not to use other kawi regulator / rectifiers?

Post by david »

'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
bob_jones

Re: Any reason not to use other kawi regulator / rectifiers?

Post by bob_jones »

I saw that one. It looks like the rectifier used was aftermarket and he's using it on a model KDX that came with it's own regulator. Mine has no regulator. Seemed sensible to me to look into using an OEM r/r that's designed for motorcycle application already. I'm starting with completely unregulated 6vac. I think he was starting with regulated 12vac. Am I wrong?