clutch issue

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

clutch issue

Post by kaw814 »

Hey guys...i have a clutch slipping on me. I can get freeplay and have lots of room for cable adjustment. I purchased a new basket from Wiseco being that the old one was notched, though my mechanic said he has seen way worse. I also have new plates/springs coming from Tusk. I may have jumped the gun on the parts..if i disconnect the cable the bike rides perfectly ...no amount of free play, less or more has any affect , the clutch still has slip and does get worse as it heats up. Im going to install the new parts regardless, but can someone give me the specs on plate wear limits or "stack height"? Seems to me that if there was a problem with clutch internals it would slip regardless of whether or not the cable is connected or not. Hope someone can help me out....i have a manual just not at my present location
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

clutch issue

Post by ohgood »

kaw814 wrote:Hey guys...i have a clutch slipping on me. I can get freeplay and have lots of room for cable adjustment. I purchased a new basket from Wiseco being that the old one was notched, though my mechanic said he has seen way worse. I also have new plates/springs coming from Tusk. I may have jumped the gun on the parts..if i disconnect the cable the bike rides perfectly ...no amount of free play, less or more has any affect , the clutch still has slip and does get worse as it heats up. Im going to install the new parts regardless, but can someone give me the specs on plate wear limits or "stack height"? Seems to me that if there was a problem with clutch internals it would slip regardless of whether or not the cable is connected or not. Hope someone can help me out....i have a manual just not at my present location

Burned springs will lose their spring and then all that is causing friction is the oil. When it heats up the friction is gone.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

clutch issue

Post by pumpguy »

What kind of oil are you using?
kaw814

Re: clutch issue

Post by kaw814 »

sorry folks...i left out some info...i am now using Belray 80w..when riding, the clutch engaged very late no matter what amount of freeplay i had on it....I do have a notched clutch basket that i am replacing....ive gotten different opinions on the severity of the notching so i'm replacing it with the new wiseco basket including new plates and springs. I just thought it was strange that i was able to get freeplay on the lever but no amount of adjusting the cable corrected the slipping..when i disconnected the cable i experienced none at all...Seems to me that ive got something going on internally. If anyone sees something that ive missed feel free to mention it. Ive spent considerable time and $ on her to be screwing around with filing down the nothces, etc...im just replacing it all..if that doesnt work expect me to be institutionalized
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

clutch issue

Post by canamfan »

If you have freeplay at the lever and you disconnect the cable and it doesn't slip , then it sounds to me like the cable is hanging up somewhere. If you disconnect the cable at both ends does it move freely in the cable housing?