After Market Parts....

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

After Market Parts....

Post by motorhed220 »

I just bought an 05 220 KDX, and now i want more power outta the thing, i just dont know where to start or what to get!

What are the best pipes for this bike AND the jetting that is needed for that Pipe?
Where can i get cheap plastics (black)
anything else that can be bought...

I live in Canada, Southeren Ontario, so i cant travel far, so dont give me any Southeren USA stores or any of that crap...THANX!!!!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Guess you need to find a Canadian mail order place.... good luck on your search!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Welcome motorhed220, I have the same bike, year, and I live in Canada, eh?.

Best thing you can do right now, while the bike is still worth something, sell it and buy a real bike like a KX250. Kidding.

Living in Canada you are going to have to become good friends with ebay, and have good communication skills with the sellers so you can convince/ask them to keep the value on the customs form under $20.00 and marked as gift. This goes for any mail order company outside of Canada.

If you want black plastics, well for the rear fender you have one choice, Maier makes a rear black fender and FRP is the best place to buy it, yes FRP is American.
What else do you want in black? UFO makes some black plastics for the KDX (actually the KX and KDX share the same front fender) and UFO plastics are cheaper in Canada, check with your dealer- motovan http://www.motovan.com sells black front fenders for $22 CDN.

Too many factors for the jetting, you are on your own for that one, no one can tell you what jetting to use. Indawoods has a very nice jetting guide in the jetts and needles section, check it out.
To purchase jets check out Parts Canada http://www.partscanada.com, they have them pretty cheap. Both motovan and parts canada are canadian distributors and you must go through your dealer to buy parts.

I have not found a good Canadian mail order place yet, and believe me I have looked. Let me know if you find anything.

I have the FMF Gnarly "desert" pipe or Rev pipe, and an FMF TCII. It is a nice combination and quite a difference over stock. It depends on what you are looking for, more top or bottom? I cannot comment on the FMF "Woods" pipe but the desert pipe gives you much more top end, something the 220's lack.

Best thing to do, spend some time doing some searches within this forum on mods, familiarize yourself with "who" has the 220 and see what worked for them.
Have you removed your airbox lid yet?
Here is what I did to mine:

I mounted the CDI box to that empty threaded hole in the frame.
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

welcome, i am in the process in modding my 02 220 right now with the gnarly desert pipe a new wiseco piston, a set of boyessen power reeds, drilling holes in my air box, rejetting and a turbine coreII silencer. i will do a report on it after i am done to let you know how it goes. these things i listed are just the usual mods except for a r&b'd carb. anyway welcome to this site
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Thanx 220 Phil, im definatly taking what u said under consideration! I am gunna check out everything u told me to, and i hope it all works out. Thanks for the Ebay tips that helped out to...and if anyone else has any advice im open to hear it. THANX!!!!! :supz:
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Oh yes, also you might want to consider replacing the stock piston ASAP with a Wiseco or PRO X piston, the stock piston has been known to fail on the 220 resulting in an expensive repair. This should be first on your agenda.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not a Pro-X... same as stock. :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

:lol: Funny guy tonight, I like that :partyman:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's the truth... what's funny about that? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I'm with ya on that one, still crackin over the 10w30 though.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ahhh.... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
KDX220PHIL wrote:I'm with ya on that one, still crackin over the 10w30 though.
hey why does everyone got to bring that up :roll:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

:rolleyes:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:wink: Because we can! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Hey Ryan, it's all in good fun. Don't feel bad, I once put Kerosene in a bike when I was younger.

:rolleyes: I will say no more!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My X-wife once filled my fine 70 camaro with diesel! I never hated diesel so bad in all my life.... smelled it for a year afterwards! :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

By "filled my fine70 camaro with diesel," do you mean the gas tank, or the interior? Tell me she didn't fill the interior...I've heard way too many bad x-wife stories this week. :rolleyes:
Keep It Simple Stupid
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It was the tank.... Then i got the call.... "Honey...the car died and won't start again!" I get there and pulled the aircleaner to see if it was getting gas... took a big whiff..... then went to the gas cap and pulled it and took a big whiff... then asked my wife if she just filed the car up.... "Yeah...why?" "Because this car takes "GAS!!!!" :mad:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

:lol:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

First time I ever went to change the oil in my car myself I bought one quart of oil. My wifes family couldn't stop laughing! Needless to say i've learned just a wee bit since then :rolleyes:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E