WEIRD REAR BRAKE CALIPER PISTON STICKING!

Got questions? We got answers....
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

Today Me and My buddy went for a 6 hour ride, He was on a 660 raptor and I was ripping on my Awesome KDX. We live in northern Michigan so it was 50 degrees most of the day with 2 feet of snow melting, and very slushy sloppy conditions. Anyway about 30 minutes we stopped and I noticed my rear brake pads were completely gone to the steel, minutes after, my buddy on the raptor noticed his were also. there were new brake pads on both bikes. Last week the same exact thing happend on the same bikes in the same conditions. last week, having brand new brake pads, I just thought my caliper needed rebuilding, when his did this I assumed his pads were shot. I wash my bike down after every ride especially the calipers due to the sand. The only thing I can think of is riding through deep slush It froze it up. Has this ever happend to any body else. After I pushed the piston in on the trail It seemed to be functioning fine besides it being metal to metal. Do I have to rebuild it or was it slush? It was maybe the best ride of my life, 5 1/2 hours on snow and slush with no rear brakes. It was a blast.
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: WEIRD REAR BRAKE CALIPER PISTON STICKING!

Post by 6 Riders »

I have that problem when riding in mud. My son and I both wear through a set of pads in an hour and a half. This happens on all three of our bikes.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Not too long ago there was a post here about old brake piston seals preventing the piston from retracting, causing rapid pad wear. Solution offered was to replace these seals.

But I don't see how riding in wet slushy conditions would affect this one way or another.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

pumpguy wrote: But I don't see how riding in wet slushy conditions would affect this one way or another.

As far as I can figure, we tend to ride the rear brake more in very slippery/slimy conditions, as using the front brakes in these conditions causes the front end to slide out.

I'm riding the same bike on the street now and there is no noticeable wear on the pads at all. The other 2 bikes where out in the desert a couple weeks ago, we rode 100 miles of pretty fast and rough terrain, again same bikes, no brake wear problems there either.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: WEIRD REAR BRAKE CALIPER PISTON STICKING!

Post by royadams »

I think the mud wear problem is the mud gets in the rotor vents. And acts like a grinder in there. My hybrid will kill a set of rear brakes in the mud. More so if I use cheap pads. That's why you see guys run solid rotors in mud races.just my 2 cents.