No power in 1st gear

Got questions? We got answers....
Scrandy

No power in 1st gear

Post by Scrandy »

Hey so I picked up my 2004 kdx 220 and had it out for 3 rides so far. What i've been noticing on the 2nd and 3rd ride is when i go wide open in first gear it almost sounds like it has a misfire and won't rev up all the way but when I have it under load like going slow for second gear and crack the throttle it goes just normal, either rips a massive rut in the grass or dirt or pulls a wheelie.
2004 KDX220R. I'm Canadian eh.
Scrandy

No power in 1st gear

Post by Scrandy »

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, it's always started first kick when it's warm and first or second when cold. So today I stopped and shut off my bike for about 5 minutes. It took 4 kicks to start, the first 3 it did not sound like it wanted to start what so ever. Then the forth kick it started right up like normal. Any thoughts on what this could be??
2004 KDX220R. I'm Canadian eh.
rparrish08

Re: No power in 1st gear

Post by rparrish08 »

Make sure the KIPS is working. If the valve is stuck open then you will have limited power below about 6k rpm's.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: No power in 1st gear

Post by Jaguar »

weak with little engine load, and strong under load means it is jetted too rich.
lean out the main jet, drop the needle 1 or 2 notches and adjust the idle air screw correctly.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/