Do KDX's have governor?

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Do KDX's have governor?

Post by mwoj »

I was thinking. And While I was able to ride my 85 KDX 200 for a short period of time, I could never hit high rpm while riding. Yet when i slip into neutral, I can redline. Do these bikes have governors? How does the rev limiter work? Can the Governor be broken?Thanks.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Do KDX's have governor?

Post by Jaguar »

thy do not have rev limiters but the CDI timing curve is not set to optimize power at high rpm.
other than that there is the design of the expansion chamber. The shorter the distance from piston to baffle, the higher the rpm can be reached. It kinda serves as a natural rev limiter.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
cornishwrecker220

Do KDX's have governor?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Both the E & H series kdx ( 200/220 ) Have adjustable governor , there's a spring which can be changed for a lighter one inside the R/H casing that under centrafugal force moves the powervalve, a lighter spring makes it opperate sooner, I can't remember but I think Moose racing made them , you can also remove 1 or both of the small copper washers under the L/H powervalve nut, this makes the powervalve open later, or if you just remove the little ball bearing & spring from under this nut then the powervalve opens sooner.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

well even if his KIPS was disconnected and opening or closing when it wanted to, that wouldn't prevent high revs from happening. He wanted to know why he can't get it to rev high when riding it. Sounds like a jetting or ignition problem.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Jaguar wrote:well even if his KIPS was disconnected and opening or closing when it wanted to, that wouldn't prevent high revs from happening. He wanted to know why he can't get it to rev high when riding it. Sounds like a jetting or ignition problem.
Where would the power valve be? I don't see it on my bike
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

If its an 85 you dont have one. 86 was the first year of powervalves in the kdx
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!