Tank range on my KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
Speedy Gonzales

Tank range on my KDX220

Post by Speedy Gonzales »

I've just spent my first day trailing my KDX220. I was a bit disappointed that the tank only covered 40 miles before switching to reserve. Does this sound about right? Any ideas of how to improve the range?

I have a FMF Gnatly pipe fitted, not sure on the jetting until I whip the carb off

The carb also overflows when on side stand, I'm guessing this is just a sticking float?

Cheers Gaz
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tank range on my KDX220

Post by SS109 »

40 miles to a tank? :shock: Wow, something is really wrong! My bet it would be that sticking float you mentioned. I can easily get over 100 miles on a tank as long as I'm not revving the snot out of it all the time.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Speedy Gonzales

Tank range on my KDX220

Post by Speedy Gonzales »

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too. The ride was quite hard in places but not enough to reduce the tank range by that much. Carb overhaul and set up to do I think :?
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Tank range on my KDX220

Post by K50X200 »

40 sounds reasonable to me... I get about 18 MPG when I'm trailriding.
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

K50X200 wrote:40 sounds reasonable to me... I get about 18 MPG when I'm trailriding.
Not to me! I can get well over 80 to a tank when riding lots of sand. Sounds like your bike has some issues as well.
'11 GasGas EC250R
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

SS109 wrote:
K50X200 wrote:40 sounds reasonable to me... I get about 18 MPG when I'm trailriding.
Not to me! I can get well over 80 to a tank when riding lots of sand. Sounds like your bike has some issues as well.
Nope... no issues.
I said TRAIL riding, - rocks, roots, trees and more rocks - no open desert on the east coast!
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
cornishwrecker220

Tank range on my KDX220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You should get around 80 miles before hitting reserve ....& then another 20 miles on reserve.

If your bike has been tuned or you ride a lot of fast forest trails then you can expect a bit less between fuel stops .
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

K50X200 wrote:Nope... no issues.
I said TRAIL riding, - rocks, roots, trees and more rocks - no open desert on the east coast!
Have you seen the trails I ride? I don't ride wide open stuff. I prefer singletrack and ride some pretty technical stuff at times. Like I said, that mileage is just way off IME.
'11 GasGas EC250R
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

SS109 wrote:
K50X200 wrote:Nope... no issues.
Have you seen the trails I ride? I don't ride wide open stuff. I prefer singletrack and ride some pretty technical stuff at times. Like I said, that mileage is just way off IME.
Yep... I've seen where you ride, and I rode the deserts and mountains of Southern Cali when I lived there for 12 years.
Do this... put that bike on a trailer, drive to Pennsylvania and look me up - We'll ride some single track at Rausch Creek and I guarantee you won't be getting 80 miles to a tank on that day! :grin:

I did get slightly better MPG before I switched to a 12T front sprocket - maybe in the 20-22 MPG neighborhood. When I trailride I rarely see 4th gear, my mileage does go up to the high 20's when I ride dual sport events.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that mileage depends on a lot of different things - terrain, bike set-up, riding style, etc... and it occurs to me that discussing it is somewhat like discussing what brand 2T oil to run, and what ratio to run it at. :lol:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

K50X200 wrote:Yep... I've seen where you ride, and I rode the deserts and mountains of Southern Cali when I lived there for 12 years.
Do this... put that bike on a trailer, drive to Pennsylvania and look me up - We'll ride some single track at Rausch Creek and I guarantee you won't be getting 80 miles to a tank on that day! :grin:

I did get slightly better MPG before I switched to a 12T front sprocket - maybe in the 20-22 MPG neighborhood. When I trailride I rarely see 4th gear, my mileage does go up to the high 20's when I ride dual sport events.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that mileage depends on a lot of different things - terrain, bike set-up, riding style, etc... and it occurs to me that discussing it is somewhat like discussing what brand 2T oil to run, and what ratio to run it at. :lol:
I will gladly take you up on your offer if I ever get out that way. I've never seen that much of a difference even when riding hike-a-bike stuff. Hell, deep soft sand sand, like we ride here, eats more fuel on a KDX than anything and even there I still get decent mileage. However, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
'11 GasGas EC250R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tank range on my KDX220

Post by ohgood »

Speedy Gonzales wrote:I've just spent my first day trailing my KDX220. I was a bit disappointed that the tank only covered 40 miles before switching to reserve. Does this sound about right? Any ideas of how to improve the range?

I have a FMF Gnatly pipe fitted, not sure on the jetting until I whip the carb off

The carb also overflows when on side stand, I'm guessing this is just a sticking float?

Cheers Gaz

20 mpg is the low end of 'ok'. loop your over flow lines UNDER, then OVER the carb, and you have a possibility of that fuel making it's way back into the carb instead of onto the ground. tilting the bike SHOULD make it over flow, instead of flooding the engine. that's normal, but if it doesn't shut off when righted, that's not normal.

with my old worn out carb (140/42 jets, gnarly and fmf silencer) i would normally see 20mpg in tight woods, with the highest ever 25mpg while cruising on a dualsport ride. recently i bought a new (jetsrus) pwk 35 (not the air striker, i hear it's better though) carb, and now get 25 mpg even in tight woods, with 160/60 jets. i'm preaching to everyone that will listen to replace their worn out carb and enjoy SMooooOOOoooth power again. :)

keep in mind that a LOT of fuel economy has to do with your wrist, your riding conditions, and your jetting. with a little smoother operation you can increase it easily.

i'm hoping to get 30mpg, if that happens with rejetting (safely jetting) i'll be completely content.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tank range on my KDX220

Post by jjavaman »

60 miles tops on my 220! I'd be in heaven if I could get 100 miles out of a tank.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod