Uh-oh

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

Uh-oh

Post by kaw814 »

Hey guys. Ive got what I believe is a clutch side crank seal leaking. Its a 2002 Kdx 220r, starts on 3 or 4 kicks cold, idles, and seems to run very well. After a few hrs in the woods i noticed that my crankcase oil level had dropped below minimum. There is no evidence of a leak anywhere on the outside of the engine. The plug has wet threads and a darker tip but they do not foul. Excessive smoke? Idk...whats excessive?...quite a bit of white smoke on warm up but seems to clear up when shes warmer. I also notice thru the check window that my oil is a black color. I also remember thinking that it smelled like i had oil burning during the ride but didnt think much of it. I suppose what Im looking for is someone to tell me that I can replace the clutch side crank seal without splitting the cases. Or better yet, give me a simpler solution to my disappearing oil issue. From what Ive read thru various posts on this site and others, I'm pretty sure thats what I'm looking at. Just trying to get her sorted out so i can stop asking these silly questions
Adamnb1

Uh-oh

Post by Adamnb1 »

Well, you could test the seals with a leak tester, but perhaps there is an easier thing to start with.
You can make a leak tester pretty quickly with some basic plumbing parts. I used one to identify a leak in the casting under my left side cover.