Stuck swingarm bearing

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Stuck swingarm bearing

Post by mwoj »

So I bought my swingarm bearing replacement. I got one of the old bearings out completely, but the other is stuck. What should I do? I tried heat gun, and penetrating oil, a home made puller with socket, and just hammering with a socket. Any suggestions?
Adamnb1

Stuck swingarm bearing

Post by Adamnb1 »

keep up with Pen. oil and don't give up. If you have a vice that opens wide enough, you can use it as a press. One socket that pushes on the bearing (or use the bearing from the other side that you got out), then another socket on the other side for the bearing to slid into.
The shaft that connects the linkage to the motor case on my bike was totally stuck. It took multiple days of applying pen oil and attempting to press it out with a little home made device (two bolts + a long connector nut).
Good luck and be patient.. it'll come.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Re: Stuck swingarm bearing

Post by mwoj »

Before checking this post again I tried that vice trick. It worked. Probably best way to do it. thanks.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Stuck swingarm bearing

Post by ohgood »

buy a couple pieces of 3/8" or 1/2" all thread rod. you can press IN or OUT quite a lot of things with a piece of threaded rod and the right size sockets.

it makes keeping things aligned very easy, and there isn't any scarring of the bore.